Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

K&n flat panel air filter or ryco flat panel cant decide

meni469

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
Hey guys im due in buying just a flat panel air filter not sure if i should stick with the cheaper filter or pay the extra for k&n i heard they clog up sensors due to oil use cleaning i know its bull i also think its a myth

any ideas would like to know thanks its on a vs v8

muttley383

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 383
Just stick with the standard paper filter and change it when it gets dirty.
You are unlikely to notice any performance difference with the K&N panel filter.

kurtis_184

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute, manual s-pack
i recently brought one for a vs ute ecotec and the diffrence was felt straight away and got better fuel usage since i put it on. havent had any problems with sensors yet.

godatfourdigital

Reaction score
Members Ride
EH Holden, VS Ute
going form an old dirty cloged up paper filter to any new filter will do wonders for you economy and have a differance... there is little difference between a new plain filter and a k&n filter... apart from the price...

most people see their street commodore as a high performance racing machine worth 4 times as much as it really is... when really, its just an everyday driver.

id probable even go so far as to say any noticable differance between a new K&N and a new standard filter would be more so a placebo...

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Ryco...

K&N is expensive ****. People just think they're good because the pay a fortune for them. Ryco does exactly the same job.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I just got a Lukey one for $43, they claim better air flow and better filtering that K&N. Also as they don't need any oil you arent going to have a problem under oiling it and sucking in dirt to your motor or over oiling and restricting air flow (also oil gets on your MAF and makes the car run like crap)

I don't have any problem with Ryco and would probably use them again over K&N, I had K&N filter on my old car but it was already in it when I bought it.

The only reason I bought Lukey is because its about the price of 4 cheap ones but is reusable, the shop I bought it from sells more of them than standard filters now.

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
I like how all the idiots in here are saying K&N is better. The advertising sure pays off. Just because they got told K&N is better, means that K&N is better, then bam, they jump in the car and placebo effect takes over. Or even if they realise that it isnt any faster they still say it is, just because they waved goodbye to about $90.

Bottom line is you wont notice it at all. Dont believe the performance hype, it wont make it faster. Buy it if you never want to replace another air filter but besides that forget it. It made my fuel economy slightly worse (tested! not placebo crap), and makes the sucking air intake noise louder. It also gets filter oil all inside your manifold.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Anyone suffering from oil on your MAF meter or in the manifold is over-oiling the filter.
Beauty of oiled filters is they turn contaminants into filtering media as they become oil-soaked themselves.
I've used both K&N and Finer Filters, out of the 2, K&N is a lot cleaner.
If you want simplicity, get a replacement Ryco filter.

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
so if the filter from the factory is apparently over oiled and the oil has got in the manifold, what does that say about it?