Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

K&N verses stock filter, mileage

pando666

milk comes in 2 litres
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec
Well took out my K&N to clean it on Sunday and put a stock filter in its place(havent put it back yet). Normaly I get about 250 to 260k's for half tank currently with stock filter I'm up to 290k's for half a tank. I thought K&N's were supposed to give better mileage than stock filters but the figures dont lie.
So is the K&N worth the $80 or do you stick with stock for better mileage and save more money in the long run?.

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
see what its like after you clean it and put it back in

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Only reason K&N should give you worse milage is if it was really clogged, or if the oil had fouled your MAF or IAT sensor(s). Clean them all and see how you do.

That said, I believe they are a waste of money, because while they can flow more than stock filters when totally clean, they get loaded with dirt quicker, and it's not long before they flow less. They also let a lot more dirt into your engine.

I've never been able to feel any on-road performance difference between stock and K&N.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'm with the princess above - slick advertising for a product car manufacturers ditched 50 years ago. My first car ('49 Ford CustomV8) had an oil bath filter...had to clean every 3000miles and a dirty job to boot. With my VS I have the factory paper filter which I've changed once in 120,000km....but if you're happy with it then OK.

pando666

milk comes in 2 litres
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec
I have done the mileage test with a clean maf and filter and its 250/260.I also believe they are a waste of money unfortunatly my money has already bean wasted. Hmmmm maybe theres a sucker on EBAY. LOL

tt460

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec
A lot of people use to much oil with the oiled filters, pando666 what type of filter did you use a un shielded pod filter or a oiled replacement. cause with a unshielded pod filter its sucking hot air.

pando666

milk comes in 2 litres
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec
I used less oil than recomended and its a replacement filter I.E. goes inside original air box

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
My K&N and CAI improved fuel consumption and gave smoother power delivery.

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
My K&N and CAI improved fuel consumption and gave smoother power delivery.

same also, I can get 7.8l per 100km on the highway on a cold night... compared to that of almost 9 in similar conditions...
I personally think K&N are a suitable alternative for a panel filter...
I mean to be honest if you look after it there shouldn't be any issues with dirt and grit getting in it?

Jacko4

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000vs/v8 ute,2000 Adventra LX8, harley Fatboy
My vs v8 has had a CAI and a K&N filter on it since new , i change the oil and clean the filter every 5000k's and had no problems.