Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

K Shock Coilovers

Predator9211

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Wagon
im no suspension expert but from my knowledge coil overs are only worth it if you buy decent ones (you get what you pay for) in most cases youd be better off with a decent spring coil set from kings with monroe shocks.

taylormade93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV WAGON Series 2
Yeah fair enough, ive always used and liked king springs. But the idea of being able to get the height how I want it is appealing to me.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
buy decent ones (you get what you pay for)

Bingo. Likely these will be a one size fits all (there's no spring rates in the ad) that will either be soft as or they'll be so hard they'll rattle the car to pieces.

BC's at a minimum. Even the cheapest decentish ones for Silvia/Skyline are about $1300, a segment which is pretty damn competitive.

Predator9211

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Wagon
Yeah fair enough, ive always used and liked king springs. But the idea of being able to get the height how I want it is appealing to me.
yeah it does seem appealing at first but like unless youre going to the track often most people dont touch their ride height once they are installed. youll get a better ride with the kings for sure like R_K_K said they will most likely be a really stiff ride and youll break your back over every bump or itll be like driving a boat which commos are already pretty bad for XD

taylormade93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV WAGON Series 2
Thanks for the reply lads. Confirmed what I assumed.

So will stick with king springs and monroe shocks.

Looking at lows in the front and superlows in the rear.
F: KHFL 150SL
R: KHRL 152SLHD

This sound good? I like the car to be level - slighlty lower in the back if anything.

H

harrop.senator

K shocks aren't to bad I think its the cheaper version of k Sport. Boss has k Sport in his vl and I've had k Sport in a 31 before and not much worse quality then bc. (Not really bragging about k shock quality its just bc isnt the best but it's definitely the lowest of the spectrum id bother fitting to the car)

The Spring rates will be stiffer then king springs a lot stiffer. They're probably 8kg front 6kg rears. It all depends on what you want the car to drive like and profile of tyres. But should be 16-32 way dampening adjustable which will make a huge difference in the ride harshness.

My 4 cylinder Silvia has 10kg front springs 8kg rear and isnt to bad you could probably call heads or tails Rolling over a coin lol. My Skyline has the same rates but running the 6 cylinder up front I find it a little more forgiving. In saying that though almost all my cars you push down on and the tyre flexes and nothing more lol.

King springs are renowned at being over soft and one of the reasons commodores with suspension mods don't handle. The sl in rear will probably sit slightly higher then the front. You definitely want the hd as the rates slightly higher and will kill some of the squat and Mexican wave tip in effect.

Monroe gt aren't to bad value for money they're slightly stiffer then stock and apparently valved to king Spring Spring rates ( soft af lol) . If you want it stiffer Lovells are much better handling wise then king but compared to 115 a pair trade they're about $200. Or you can run Ute hd towing springs that's the next step for me in my senator before custom ive tried 4 rear pairs now lol.

HOLDEN_IS_DEAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 SS
IF YOU HAD SOFT KINGS THEN YOU MUST HAVE HAD A BAD SET. I HAVE TRIED KINGS A FEW TIMES AND BEEN IN LOTS OF CARS THAT HAD THEM AND THEY ALL WERE HARD AS SH*T AND THERE RIDE HEIGHT GOES FROM WAY TO HIGH TO STUPID LOW (JUST PLAIN SH*T) COILOVERS IS THE WAY TO GO JUST MAKE SURE THE SPRING RATE ISN'T TO HARD.

H

harrop.senator

Each to there own I've fitted more sets of kings then I can remember. All brand new on trade and I won't bother ordering anything but HD or ehd for my cars.

hdtkid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commy
Don't buy k shock.. had this happen yesterday. Only bit over 2 years old.

Vs commodore.

Attachments

• 20201122_202228.jpg
    20201122_202228.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 706