Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

KABUL Afghanistan and the Taliban (I call them TelevisionBan)

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
This sounds like the "what a waste of money going to the moon is" argument. NASA gets money and distributes it to their workers and supply chains.

How many people do you think are employed by the defense sector, both directly, as tier 1 providers and their downstream supply chains?
Or do you think all defence spending is hoarded by the "elite"
You could always buy some of your own Boeing or Lockheed Martin shares and tap into the piggy bank.

Jesus christ :rolleyes:
It's no wonder some get jacked off with posters here.
Talk about twisting my words around and taking my posts out of context.
FFS

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
FFS
Yes that does seem to happen quite a lot I’ve noticed!
Maybe it’s time to give it a rest fellas?

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
This is exactly what the powerful wealthy elites want.
The peasants fighting each other, it does their job for them by distracting us, so they can get busy stealing the loot and find new ways to further subjugate, tax and control....

Western democracies are literally crumbling from within, how much more corruption and greed do you need to see before it sinks in?
In fact, I'd go as far to say that generally speaking, humanity has completely lost its way.
Until we see integrity, honesty and full transparency from those at the top of the human hierarchy of power, we will continue on our self destructive course.

Wash Rinse Repeat

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
You don't know much about the British empire then, or how their government and their aristocrats facilitate the ongoing corruption and class separation in society.
Take your ignorance and return to that rock you live under.
FFS

Nothing to twist. Clear as day wrong and misleading

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Shakes head.
I thought you were smarter than that.
I've already posted this stuff...jesus....
America is directly involved one way or another in everything concerning the Middle East.

I wish the US had actually done something proper in Syria as the local population wanted rid of their dictator which seems to be the complete opposite to Afghanistan.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
This is exactly what the powerful wealthy elites want.
The peasants fighting each other, it does their job for them by distracting us, so they can get busy stealing the loot and find new ways to further subjugate, tax and control....

Western democracies are literally crumbling from within, how much more corruption and greed do you need to see before it sinks in?
In fact, I'd go as far to say that generally speaking, humanity has completely lost its way.
Until we see integrity, honesty and full transparency from those at the top of the human hierarchy of power, we will continue on our self destructive course.

Wash Rinse Repeat
The people are generally deprived of the correct information to make an informed decision when voting unless they go digging for it and don‘t get stuck down a rabbit hole of misinformation.

That’s by design of course with Rupert Murdoch being the main person responsible for the stupification of society. Hes the master of “look over there” to deflect away from the incompetence and corruption of the LNP.

The vast majority of people don’t have the time or inclination to go digging for actual news so they just watch the drivel on TV that passes for “news“ these days. In days of yore the msm could be trusted to dig into actual issues. Just look at ACA who actually reported on **** that mattered when it was Ray Martin but now they just bang on about “people” (dole bludgers, dodgy tradesmen etc) and never governments, this is by design to keep the plebs distracted and fighting each other. Theres a reason Peter Costello is on the Nine board and it’s not to be impartial.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
The world would be a better place if the USA kept their nose in their own backyard rather than be the self anointed world policeman. The $1,7 trillion they spent in Afghanistan would have been put to better use fixing up their own problems. Some of us more cynical ones would think that it had more to do with the oil these Countries have rather than removing some supposed dictator.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi All,

I would normally not involve myself in a topic like this. However, this thread caught my eye as I served a few tours in Afghanistan. I am genuinely dismayed by what I see and hear on the news and am disturbed by the views many people hold in relation to Afghanistan, the Afghani peoples and those that served there.

My view is based on personal experience and is not tainted by conspiracy throries or political bent. Although, like everyone. I have personal biases.
In the main I believe that the Afghani peoples were greatful for the support they were given. However; Afghans are a collection of interesting peoples that are very focussed on their family unit as opposed to the nation. It is a society where truth is whatever helps the family unit; where homosexuality is frowned upon but molesting the tea boy is OK, where an eye for an eye is acceptable and a blood feud can go on for generations. Yet we are wanting this society converted into a homogenous democracy operating to western norms in the blink of an eyelid.

Afghan society isn't based on nationalistice fervor and the generation of change requred to develop a nationalistic spirit has only been given a taste of what the future could hold. Those that really want change simply aren't in a position to make that change happen.

Real change can't happen in 20 years; change takes at least two generations - one to realise change and one to make it happen. Western society (governments) is too focussed on what gets them another three or four year term as opposed to making real change. It is not something that can be acheived in a three to four year term, even a few of them. You require a long term commitment - similar to the commitment that China has to achieving its goals (for good or bad).

If there isn't a desire to make a real change then politicians simply should not go there. They should achieve whatever national interest needs to be protected, without gloves, and live with the good press and the bad. They should not cover it with bullshit about making a difference, or setting the conditions for regional change. If the juice isn't worth the squeeze, just don't do it. I am saddened that we lost so many to see a re-run of Vietnam. One can now only hope that the reprisals are swift and a moderate Taliban Government rules. The opportunity to nurture change has has bolted.

For those that are calling it a military faiilure. If you haven't been there you don't know. If you have you must have seen something different to me. The military had several missions: defeat the Taliban, set the conditions for the establishment of an Afghan Government and Train and Equip the Afghan National Army (ANA). Taliban defeated, check (albeit not destroyed), Interim Governmant Installed, check, democratic elections held, tick, ANA raised and trained, mmm? That last one is debatable. Was the ANA trained - tick, equipped, tick, effective tick. Was the Afghan Government capable of supporting the ANA. No. Was the ANA leadership supportive of Afghanistan as a nation? You would have to say no. Were the Afghan peoples bought into "Afghanistan as a society"? No.

So what about those jumping up and down at home? The majority are sheep and believe what is reported instead of reaching for the truth. Unfortunately journalists only report what feeds their egos, what sells, or what they are paid to report. Not what we need to know in an unbiased manner. For example - if a coalition operation results in collateral damage to a mosque it is reported with outlandish headlines in the US, UK, Australia and NZ. The media calls for heads to roll and there are protests in the streets. However, if a Saudi Jet deliberately bombs a Mosque in Yemen housing women and children trying to excape the conflict the facts are reported in a story that is buried at the bottom of world news. Why isn't the public outraged about that? Why aren't we all outraged at the events unfolding in West Papua, Myanmar or China. Aren't they just as horrific as what has and is happening in Afghanistan?

In short - the outcome in Afghanistan is horrendous, the hope given to many has been taken away. It is not a failing of the Military or a Deep State conspiracy (if it was a deep state issue they wouldn't let the cash cow crumble). The blame lies at the feet of two parties: the policicians who are not prepared to follow through after making a "commitment" to the region and the Afghan people who are not prepared to stand up for a nation they don't believe in. They are clearly ambivalent about the Taliban and turmoil happening around them otherwise, as a tribe, they would have done something about it - as the Kurds did against ISIS. They now have a seat at Iraqi table.

Last edited:

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Hi All,

I would notmally not involve myself in a topic like this. However, this thread caught my eye as I served a few tours in Afghanistan. I am genuinely dismayed by what I see and hear on the news and am disturbed by the views many people hold in relation to Afghanistan, the Afghani peoples and those that served there.

My view is based on personal experience and is not tainted by conspiracy throries or political bent. Although, like everyone. I have personal biases.
In the main I believe that the Afghani peoples were greatful for the support they were given. However; Afghans are a collection of interesting peoples that are very focussed on their family unit as opposed to the nation. It is a society where truth is whatever helps the family unit; where homosexuality is frowned upon but molesting the tea boy is OK, where an eye for an eye is acceptable and a blood feud can go on for generations. Yet we are wanting this society converted into a homogenous democracy operating to western norms in the blink of an eyelid.

Afghan society isn't based on nationalistice fervor and the generation of change requred to develop a nationalistic spirit has only been given a taste of what the future could hold. Those that really want change simply aren't in a position to make that change happen.

Real change can't happen in 20 years; change takes at least two generations - one to realise change and one to make it happen. Western society (governments) is too focussed on what gets them another three or four year term as opposed to making real change. It is not something that can be acheived in a three to four year term, even a few of them. You require a long term commitment - similar to the commitment that China has to achieving its goals (for good or bad).

If there isn't a desire to make a real change then politicians simply should not go there. They should achieve whatever national interest needs to be protected, without gloves, and live with the good press with the bad. They should not cover it with bullshit about making a difference, or setting the conditions for regional change. If the juice isn't worth the squeeze, just don't do it. I am saddened that we lost so many to see a re-run of Vietnam. One can now only hope that the reprisals are swift and a moderate Taliban Government rules. The opportunity to nurture change has has bolted.

For those that are calling it a military faiilure. If you haven't been there you don't know. If you have you must have seen something different to me. The military had several missions: defeat the Taliban, set the conditions for the establishment of an Afghan Government and Train and Equip the Afghan National Army (ANA). Taliban defeated, check (albeit not destroyed), Interim Governmant Installed, check, democratic elections held, tick, ANA raised and trained, mmm? That last one is debatable. Was the ANA trained - tick, equipped, tick, effective tick. Was the Afghan Government capable of supporting the ANA. No. Was the ANA leadership supportive of Afghanistan as a nation? You would have to say no. Were the Afghan peoples bought into Afghanistan as a society? No.

So what about those jumping up and down at home? The majority are sheep believe what is reported instead of reaching for the truth. Unfortunately journalists only report what feeds their egos, what sells, or what they are paid to report. Not what we need to know in an unbiased manner. For example - if a coalition operation results in collateral damage to a mosque it is reported with outlandish headlines in the US, UK, Australia and NZ. The media calls for heads to roll and there are protests in the streets. However, if a Saudi Jet deliberately bombs a Mosque in Yemen housing women and children trying to excape the conflict the facts are reprted in a story that is buried at the bottom of world news. Why isn't the public outraged about that? Why arent we all outraged at the events unfolding in West Papua, Myanmar or China. Aren't they just as horrific as what has and is happening in Afghanistan?

In short - the outcome in Afghanistan is horrendous, the hope given to many has been taken away. It is not a failing of the Military or a Deep State conspiracy (if it was a deep state issue they wouldn't let the cash cow crumble). The blame lies at the feet of two parties: the policicians who are not prepared to follow through after making a "commitment" to the region and the Afghan people who are not prepared to stand up for a nation they don't believe in. They are clearly ambivalent about the Taliban and turmoil happening around them toherwise as a tribe they would have done something about it - as the Keurds did agaisnt ISIS. They now have a seat at Iraqi table.
Seems like a well informed summary.