Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kayhan Android/Apple Carplay +Nav+ digital radio.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
I've always been put off because there seems to be some sort of compromise on functionality. So I sent them an email:

Does the unit use the built in USB in the console? – yes

Does the unit use the built in microphone? We use your factory microphone

What would functionality be like leaving the phone connected to the car’s Bluetooth and at the same time plugging into carplay by usb? Our unit does both and in Vf v2 even the wireless will need to be connected to the factory Bluetooth in vf v1 that is not requires.
I take it that means the unit uses either the aux or factory bluetooth to connect to the mylink in the VF1 and bluetooth only in VF2...

Does the voice and audio (e.g. Siri, not music) run through the car speakers? Yes

something i do find concerning with the kayhan box is the fact they have hardware button instructions to select and open apps which could point to the system not having touchscreen functionality for android auto.
I forgot to ask that, but they did send a video that shows them using the touchscreen.

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
So does the factory features work the same with this new Kayhan product? Will navigation directions appear on the HID with Android maps etc?

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
The fact that they’ve made it capable to use the in built factory microphone and USB in the centre console are already a step above what Envyous Customs and Import Road can provide, I think what we all want to see is the installation video and a video of it being operational in a day to day environment before putting our hard earned money down on it. There’s just a few too many unknowns to put into it without having seen it work first.

vs355x

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf
128438414_879067442833272_3030225815584132570_o.jpg

From their facebook page - not sure why it has a seperate mic and usb (after it was said it uses factory ones), and then also the seperate rear camera connections, mine has factory reverse camera.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
The Series 2 is also listed now for an extra $30 after it wasn’t there last week... how does that work despite AUX not being programmed? The inability for their team to provide straight answers and the problems reported with the first Kayhan head units released by some on here are the reasons why I’ll let them prove with visuals and videos that it works right before making a purchase.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The Series 2 is also listed now for an extra $30 after it wasn’t there last week... how does that work despite AUX not being programmed?

My guess is they will use bluetooth for the audio.
The extra 30 bucks might be a bluetooth dongle.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
From their facebook page - not sure why it has a seperate mic and usb (after it was said it uses factory ones), and then also the seperate rear camera connections, mine has factory reverse camera.

after watching the video posted above and looking at your picture you can clearly see in the video at 0:27 that he uses that usb plug to connect the phone and not the factory one but it does have wireless mode so you should only need to plugin the phone once to set it up and then it would be wireless after that initial setup.

it is a bit odd that it has a mic, reverse cam input and reverse detection because the mic and cam input can be obtained from the factory wiring harness and the reverse detection can be obtained from the canbus so i would suspect that they are rebranding the main control unit which would be sold in china to fit multiple types of gm vehicles with a harness customized for the vf so those extra plugs might not be used on the vf.

kh.jpg

it does look to be a carplay / android auto only setup with no internal operating system access and no navigation or apps without a phone so what this means is without a phone connected it does pretty much nothing but wait for the phone connection.
i also notice it has music and video options so it has a basic media player to play media off a usb drive.

some of the other "middle man" setups like this one come with an android powered box that has the operating system, apps and navigation installed so there is no need for a phone and they also have carplay / android auto functionality.
this kayhan box does not appear to be like those ones and i am only speculating off what i can see but the video and the absence of a gps antenna in the wiring picture makes me think i am pretty close.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
be careful with kayhan promising you the world

their facebook page and the other thread mention a heap of issues with their first VF kit.
Yes well I’m never going to buy from them. After vs355x put up the picture withe the Mic and USB, I emailed them back and asked why they said everything is factory but pictures show otherwise.

...I did not get a response

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Video is very evident showing a separate USB input and that’s also what I was told by Kayhan yet you’ll see that he’s answered to someone else that microphone and USB are all factory. So there is quite a bit of marketing bs and I don’t forget his first batch of VF head units and the issues there.
24/7 service is non existent once you start questioning the issues the product he has.
Rather pay the extra dollars and get @TazzI and Import Road to sort us out.