Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kayhan Mylink Replacement Hands on(info)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Thanks, DUDE, you just made me literally laugh out loud & now my workmates think I'm more insane than they did before! :(
:D

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
here is another really good design feature from kayhan…

my microphone/handsfree stopped working last week so I had a look at the wire/plug and I found this.
mic-issue.jpg
what they have done here is crimped the microphones gnd wire to the gnd wire of the reset switch and smashed some cloth tape around it.
how they screwed up is they made the wire too short so any pulling or movement/vibration on the microphone cable was all being put on the hard edge of the crimp connection and the wire will break very easily which it did.

so i added a bit of wire to bridge that gap and it works again so if you get one of these units and the microphone stops working this will be why :confused:

Last edited:

KLoNe

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.2L V8 Phantom VF2 Calais-V
What accent is that?! :confused:

EDIT:

8: you have no admin access over the unit and it is not verified or is rooted so you wont be installing Netflix etc from google play and kayhan has removed the ability to access root on the firmware updates or they removed the root.

^^^^^^^^^
WHAT?!?!

Last edited:
M

mwb235

Now that's dirty! :D

here is another really good design feature from kayhan…

my microphone/handsfree stopped working last week so I had a look at the wire/plug and I found this.
what they have done here is crimped the microphones gnd wire to the gnd wire of the reset switch and smashed some cloth tape around it.
how they screwed up is they made the wire too short so any pulling or movement/vibration on the microphone cable was all being put on the hard edge of the crimp connection and the wire will break very easily which it did.

so i added a bit of wire to bridge that gap and it works again so if you get one of these units and the microphone stops working this will be why :confused:

I guess it's this sort of sh!t that explains why Holden's R&D costs are higher.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i am removing the kayhan unit and putting the mylink back in.
it is annoying having the kayhan unit.
the handsfree is junk and the screen brightness is just not good enough during the day.

pretty much every single time i get in the car and start it the door open picture stays on screen and i have to tap it to make it go away
20190913-103905.jpg

20190914-211952.jpg

the brightness is really bad in many situations, there is a video playing in this picture and it is not a dark scene.
20190920-120440.jpg

i had kayhan ring me asking to leave reviews on facebook and their site and they would give me a free accessory and when i mentioned the glare issue he said "that is not our issue and you will need to get a anti glare screen protector".

i think if you are going to spend $1000 go with the envyous customs solution from Tazzl over the kayhan unit, i should have done this myself but i really wanted a full replacement.

M

mwb235

the handsfree is junk and the screen brightness is just not good enough during the day.

pretty much every single time i get in the car and start it the door open picture stays on screen and i have to tap it to make it go away

the brightness is really bad in many situations, there is a video playing in this picture and it is not a dark scene.

i had kayhan ring me asking to leave reviews on facebook and their site and they would give me a free accessory and when i mentioned the glare issue he said "that is not our issue and you will need to get a anti glare screen protector".

That's such a pity. They obviously did some decent R&D but haven't/couldn't/didn't want to finish it off. Plus their customer service sounds like it is lacking. Looks like the Kayhan unit will go the same way the Alpine unit did - discontinued, people pulling them out...

i think if you are going to spend $1000 go with the envyous customs solution from Tazzl over the kayhan unit, i should have done this myself but i really wanted a full replacement.

Yep, once i can afford to, the Envyous solution is what i'll be doing.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE

20190913-103905.jpg

20190914-211952.jpg

20190920-120440.jpg

Send it to @TazzI to tinker with?

Appreciate the heads up

berlina411

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline (Weekender). Truck (Daily)
Interesting thread. Thanks for all the helpful info, Stooge.
Have definitely now decided not to get one. Will also be looking at Tazzi's options