Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kayhan Mylink Replacement Hands on(info)

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
I've seen this little dongle doohickey that plugs into your (Android) phone's USB and then into your car's USB input and provides you with Android Auto straight off the bat. They are all over Ebay for around the fifty to 100 dollar mark but I can't get any sellers to tell me with 100% certainty that it will work with the stock VF Mylink setup.
s-l1600.jpg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Stroppy, MyLink is a little hobbled in software as one can’t connect, for example , a keyboard to it. To be able to connect a keyboard, MyLink would need to have appropriate USB drivers and software to handle such an input device, but it doesn’t so it can’t.

In a similar vein, Android Auto requires software within MyLink to speak the AA language (where USB is just a transport layer). A box between the phone and MyLink can’t result in some magic whereby MyLink suddenly has the requires software to talk AA. As such, I see these sellers as fly by night snake oil salesman who may be here today and gone with your money tomorrow ;)

I’m quite happy to be proven wrong but I wouldn’t even risk $5 on it let alone the $50 to $100 :rolleyes:

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
@Stroppy, MyLink is a little hobbled in software as one can’t connect, for example , a keyboard to it. To be able to connect a keyboard, MyLink would need to have appropriate USB drivers and software to handle such an input device, but it doesn’t so it can’t.

In a similar vein, Android Auto requires software within MyLink to speak the AA language (where USB is just a transport layer). A box between the phone and MyLink can’t result in some magic whereby MyLink suddenly has the requires software to talk AA. As such, I see these sellers as fly by night snake oil salesman who may be here today and gone with your money tomorrow ;)

I’m quite happy to be proven wrong but I wouldn’t even risk $5 on it let alone the $50 to $100 :rolleyes:
Just as I suspected...thanks for the heads-up. BTW...completely separate topic...do you know if the ZB 2 litre has a timing belt or chain?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
but I can't get any sellers to tell me with 100% certainty that it will work with the stock VF Mylink setup.]

Skylarking is correct, no device like that would work on the mylink via usb because the mylink just has no programming for it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... BTW...completely separate topic...do you know if the ZB 2 litre has a timing belt or chain?
No eye dear (punchline to a bad joke but you get the meaning) :p

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Just as I suspected...thanks for the heads-up. BTW...completely separate topic...do you know if the ZB 2 litre has a timing belt or chain?

Yes one timing chain in the 2.0 litre engine.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Sorry for the thread dig. My Mylink seems to be about to die. Did an 8 hour drive yesterday back from Bathurst with no music or reverse camera. Amazed I had indicator sounds...
Is there anyone left other than Kayhan that does a full kit for the VF, that looks like it was meant to be there? The only other one I know about was Alpine and their unit is sold out. I know I can go the Aerpro facia kit and whatever head unit I want but their site says it screws with the front park sensors and I'll need to cut the dash. Plus it puts aftermarket head units on what look like a really weird screen angle.