Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Keep radio from turning off

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
This has been discussed so many times on here... the end result is don't do it... you shouldn't put it in ignition mode for so long and it's a pain to keep turning the radio on. Just take a portable radio.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I think you push and hold start button for 5 seconds or a few times without foot on brake sorry can't exactly remember but sure I have seen it somewhere here

That puts the car in ignition mode. BCM and ECM is on which you don't want to leave on for extended amount of time.

M

mwb235

I want to go see a drive in movie however the power saving function turns off the the radio every 5 to 10 minutes the only way way I know to stop this is to hold down the start button till everything lights up on the the dash but this turns everything on and will drain the battery does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks

I haven't tried this, but possibly you could find which wire running into back of headunit supplies +12 Volts, and connect a permanent +12V via a simple on/off rocker switch and relay. But of course it may not be that simple in a VF.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I haven't tried this, but possibly you could find which wire running into back of headunit supplies +12 Volts, and connect a permanent +12V via a simple on/off rocker switch and relay. But of course it may not be that simple in a VF.

I didn't realise that ignition mode was so detrimental , I would have thought the only victim would be the battery , so I did think of mwb235's option , I was thinking a Cellink Neo (already has an on/off switch ) hooked up then wired in to the radio . I imagine for Mylink this would be difficult as the power saving mode is programmed into the system , but I have an after market system , so I would imagine that it has an accessory option that I could hook up , I'm sure @TazzI or @stooge (sorry to name drop ) would know

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I didn't realise that ignition mode was so detrimental , I would have thought the only victim would be the battery , so I did think of mwb235's option , I was thinking a Cellink Neo (already has an on/off switch ) hooked up then wired in to the radio . I imagine for Mylink this would be difficult as the power saving mode is programmed into the system , but I have an after market system , so I would imagine that it has an accessory option that I could hook up , I'm sure @TazzI or @stooge (sorry to name drop ) would know
You are right the ignition mode wont cause any problems apart from battery drain so if you are going to keep it one for a long time just connect a battery charger to the battery which is what i always do.

If people really want to stop the radio switching off you just put a switch on the swcan wire and turn it off(disconnect the swcan) before the ignition is switched off and the radio will stay on.
I have not specifically tried that on the vf but many other holdens i have(cruze,barina,trax,colorado) and it works.

Last edited:

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Surely it’s only us old f@rts that would have an issue with this...,meanwhile the younguns are still googling “what’s a drive in movie?”

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If it doesn’t have a crackly mono speaker that hangs off the half-wound-down driver’s-side window, it ain’t a real drive-in. :)

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
If it doesn’t have a crackly mono speaker that hangs off the half-wound-down driver’s-side window, it ain’t a real drive-in.

Yep, just you and your girlfriend.

Good times!

Don't forget to let the two mates out of the boot...

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Still have one in SA, dont really rate the experience if your a movie lover.

For exhibitionists its great

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Well, back in the day the choice was listen to "The Cisco Kid", "Greenbottle" or "Blue Hills" on the radio (but Grandad what did you look at?), then we could watch the 20" black and white tv, or, pop off to the drive-in.

Drive-in was king although I still can't believe it was necessary for Old Yeller to die :(