Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Keep radio from turning off

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Well, back in the day the choice was listen to "The Cisco Kid", "Greenbottle" or "Blue Hills" on the radio (but Grandad what did you look at?), then we could watch the 20" black and white tv, or, pop off to the drive-in.

Drive-in was king although I still can't believe it was necessary for Old Yeller to die :(

Were you the 'remote' for the 20" B+W TV, like I was?:D

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I notice on my first VF if you didn't put the car in park and leave it in neutral, the radio would stay on. I noticed this while the car was getting a service at the mechanics up on the hoist.

Just to get back onto the subject of this post after the digression into yesteryear by some of our older members (and unfortunately I am in the same category now).

Tested the above solution this afternoon and it works like a charm. Leave the transmission in neutral with the electronic park brake on, and the radio doesn't turn off even when you open the door. You get an (error) message telling you to place the transmission into park, but it doesn't seem to matter when you ignore it. I didn't remember to see whether the message had disappeared when I got back to my car. My wife, who was still in the car listening to the radio, was very happy with this solution.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
well I ended up taking my partners peugeot 307 to the drive in which suffed frrom the same problem after half an hour. The diffence being it wouldnt turn back on unless the car was actually started haha, so we had to borrow a mono fm radio! and had to jump start the mazda next to as after as he had left the ignition on for the entire movie!!

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Just to get back onto the subject of this post after the digression into yesteryear by some of our older members (and unfortunately I am in the same category now).

Tested the above solution this afternoon and it works like a charm. Leave the transmission in neutral with the electronic park brake on, and the radio doesn't turn off even when you open the door. You get an (error) message telling you to place the transmission into park, but it doesn't seem to matter when you ignore it. I didn't remember to see whether the message had disappeared when I got back to my car. My wife, who was still in the car listening to the radio, was very happy with this solution.
Awesome! I knew that would work. I actually got out of the car when I placed it on the hoist. An hour later music still playing and I thought it should be off. Still haven’t been to drive in to test it out lol

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Leave the transmission in neutral with the electronic park brake on, and the radio doesn't turn off even when you open the door. You get an (error) message telling you to place the transmission into park, but it doesn't seem to matter when you ignore it. I didn't remember to see whether the message had disappeared when I got back to my car. My wife, who was still in the car listening to the radio, was very happy with this solution.

That'll work great in my manual Redline! ;)

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Personally i'd take a cheap bluetooth speaker (we all seem to have them these days) and use a radio app where you can manually tune the frequency..assuming there is one..Got to be better than straining the battery.

Or go old-school and use a battery powered transistor jobbie.. :rolleyes:

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
FM radio hardware in phones is fairly rare these days