Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Keep resonators or mufflers?

Jezz_eee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV-Z series
So I have a 2013 SSV running a vcm 16 cam and I have a full 3” exhaust system that sounds great but is too “tame” on idle for my liking considering the cam I’m running I want the car to sound more aggressive at the lights etc. the exhaust starts with 1 7/8” mild steel headers then straight onto brand new high flow cats through to mild 14” long hotdogs then ending with VAREX mufflers… would removing the mufflers be too extreme or will having resonators keep it “tame enough”?

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
If you take the mufflers off it will definitely be………rowdier at idle but I don’t think it’s gonna be pleasant!
I would probably look at replacement mufflers but I couldn’t recommend any specific brand, haven’t messed with late modeI stuff, a few guys here can hopefully offer up some suggestions.

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
I removed the rear mufflers and put hotdog tailpipes in place. I also put 2 x 9” hotdogs in the rear of the centre section similar to the stock setup and it made it louder but not droney. I still have the front single muffler in place aswell. Lukey 2.5 m/s system.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Does the front section have an X merge or a H pipe in front of the hotdogs?