Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Keeping Engine Warm??

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
You are right there mate.
At cold start the IAC screams, trying to let air in.

In saying that, even when the car is at NOT, I can hear the IAC opening and closing, every so often trying to compensate for the idle.

One more thing I was wondering......
Is it necessary to adjust the idle (screw) in diagnostic mode on the 304, or not?
As you would do with the ignition timing.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the real procedure involves turning the key on in diagnostic mode and unplugging the iac and setting base idle speed to the rpm in the manual but after mods etc this changes most tuners just aim for 10-20 iac steps at hot idle

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
the real procedure involves turning the key on in diagnostic mode and unplugging the iac and setting base idle speed to the rpm in the manual but after mods etc this changes most tuners just aim for 10-20 iac steps at hot idle
Thanks mate.
I suppose it couldn't hurt to try it?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I found a procedure for setting the idle.
It involves a Tech2, but I might try it in diagnostic mode and see what happens.
I've got nothing to loose.

If it doesn't work for me, it might come in handy for other people.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
thats the workshop procedure or there abouts locks it to base timing and no iac flow.can do it the same just with an aldl cable and set iac steps to 20 while watching it on screen

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
this doesnt seem like a good idea to me...
500 rpm is way too low for my engine.....It has to be at around 850-900rpm.

Hang the expense lol....Ya gotta take risks in life ari, or life would be too boring.
Just like my experiment with removing over spray with "Jiff" house hold cleanser.....Remember?
If it doesn't work.....it's off to the tuner I go.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
plus it doesnt seem to at any way at all address your issue, which as you said you need to "feather the throttle" which suggests that it needs movement of the throttle position (i.e. small amounts of enrichment) rather than bumping up the idle. so your issue is fuel priming and enrichment on startup, and this process addresses idle speed and IAC position, which i really dont think will help. if it was just idle speed you could turn your throttle screw a 1/4 of a turn and let IAC take a few less steps when its warm to achieve the same result.

there is a small chance you may just take a simple fuel issue and create a fuel AND idle speed issue.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I do see your point ari.
As a matter of fact.
About 18 months ago, I had to take the car back to the guy who did all this to my car,
as the idle was all over the place.
I was having the same cold start problem; I could take my foot off the accelerator at 60K's and still be at 60K's.
Sometimes it would be fine.....other times it just couldn't find the correct idle speed.
He did fix it and it was really good.
Now, only the cold start is playing up again, but I'm wondering if the other problems are going to come back.

Why would it do this again?????
Can the ECU go out of tune like a piano??? I wouldn't have thought so.

Anyway, I'll take your advice ari and live with it until I can find and get to a decent tuner.
I have spent quite a lot on this car and I suppose you can under stand my frustration. :bang:

Thanks mate.