Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Keeping speaker wire separate from power

jazza415

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Hey guys, I have an amp and speakers on the way and I was just wondering if you're meant to keep the speaker wires separate from the power, where is the speaker wire meant to be routed for the side that has the power wire?
I have a Vx commy if that helps.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Hey guys, I have an amp and speakers on the way and I was just wondering if you're meant to keep the speaker wires separate from the power, where is the speaker wire meant to be routed for the side that has the power wire?

No it can be next to the power cable.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Inductive pick (cross talk or mutual coupling) may be an issue in modern cars where the ideal way to avoid such is to twist the +ve and -ve wires from each speaker together in what is called a twisted pair. (If you are familiar with an Ethernet cable, you’ll understand what twisted pairs are).

Obviously twisted pair speaker cables can be made manually from individual wires or you can buy twisted pair speaker cables (for silly money at posh audio places). You can then lay these twisted pairs next to an existing loom without any real worry about inductive pickup up..

The other issue is that using the lowest gauge speaker wire provides the lowest resistance which improves speaker performance. That’s because as wire gauge goes down, wire thickness goes up and resistance goes down. As the wire resistance is also dependant on the cable length, choice is limited by the cable length, the practical space available for the cable run and your budget. However, as cable lengths are short in a vehicle environment, the difference between thin and thick speaker wires makes no practical difference. So using 10 gauge cables in a car is just plain dumb :eek:

Having said that, all cars I’ve owned had thin parallel bundled wires next to power wires with no appreciable issues, and good sound. So as Shane said you should be ok having speaker wires next to power wires.

The limiting factor in sound quality is primarily the head unit and speakers in any case, not the wires...

Where wire problems can occur is if you have noise on the dc power lines, from for example a noisy alternator that doesn’t have any filtering running next to untwisted speaker cables. Such noise may be picked up by speaker wires or interconnect wires (between head unit and amp) and thus be heard as buzor hum. Such inductive pick up may also be more of an issue in modern cars with their high speed data busses scattered around the vehicle. Oddly enough, it isn’t a problem in modern cars either because these data busses are carried on twisted pair (iirc).

Speaker wire isn’t the only concern as the bigger issue tends to be if the amp is connected to the head unit via unshielded parallel cables carrying line level signals. This isn’t ideal and using either twisted pair or coax to carry the line level signals to your amp is much preferred.

So it’s your choice how far you go to reduce inductive pickup which may or may not be an issue on your speaker wires...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Run them however you want. Just make sure you have a good ground for the amp and the RCAs. If not you will get a wirring noise as the throttle goes up and down.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yep, avoid earth loops between head unit and amp...

A head units with optical output and amp with optical input would be idea in cars as earth loops would be impossible when photons are involved... but never seen one.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Speaker interference is only an issue with AC current. DC current has no effect on signal wires what so ever.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Speaker interference is only an issue with AC current. DC current has no effect on signal wires what so ever.
Please explain? Are you saying that car RCAs don't have ground loop issues?

jazza415

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Thanks for the in depth reply skylarking, much appreciated.
The whirring is what I'm trying to avoid losh I'll keep the good ground in mind :)
So I should be good with making twisted pair speaker wires and not grounding to a flimsy/dirty piece of the body yeah?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks for the in depth reply skylarking, much appreciated.
The whirring is what I'm trying to avoid losh I'll keep the good ground in mind :)
So I should be good with making twisted pair speaker wires and not grounding to a flimsy/dirty piece of the body yeah?

A seat belt bolt should work ok. The issue is that sometimes RCA jacks on amps and or head units are not properly grounded. This can cause the wirring noise.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Please explain? Are you saying that car RCAs don't have ground loop issues?

No that is not what I said.

The question was about running the speaker wire near power cables. The DC power cables will not effect the signal in any way like AC can.
The RCA cables are shielded and use the case as an earth so don't really suffer from the speaker AC but that's pretty much in phase anyway ffs.

There is no cross signal issues in car audio it's a AC mains issue not a car issue so the whole thread is a moot point thread.

But the ignition system can have an effect but I've never seen a modern head unit that needs a filter so that's a moot point too.