Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Keeping speaker wire separate from power

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No that is not what I said.

The question was about running the speaker wire near power cables. The DC power cables will not effect the signal in any way like AC can.
The RCA cables are shielded and use the case as an earth so don't really suffer from the speaker AC but that's pretty much in phase anyway ffs.

There is no cross signal issues in car audio it's a AC mains issue not a car issue so the whole thread is a moot point thread.

But the ignition system can have an effect but I've never seen a modern head unit that needs a filter so that's a moot point too.
You on the booze again? Because this response sounds like someone who is half cut, moot point was not needed. I was merely trying to figure out if you and I was talking about the same thing.

jazza415

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
I have a Sony head unit and pioneer amp, reputable companies should ground their rca inputs shouldn't they?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've come across faulty RCA jacks on head units from factory, that caused ground issues. It's not common but it does happen. Having said that you should be right.

jazza415

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
You on the booze again? Because this response sounds like someone who is half cut, moot point was not needed. I was merely trying to figure out if you and I was talking about the same thing.

Yea I am actually. Sorry if I have offended you with my drunkness.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Please explain? Are you saying that car RCAs don't have ground loop issues?
Inductive pickup is only an issue with changing voltage which can be from ac power lines, obd data lines and even from other speaker lines... It can also occur in dc based system where there is a fault in the ac filtering within the alternator causing high dc ripple. Switching dc power on and off can also cause inductive noise... from indicators for example...

Earth loops are caused by two components (headunit and amp) being at different voltages and thus current following along an earth path between the units. The differing voltage can be due to wiring resistance and resistive earths... the balancing earth loop current tend to flow down the earth feed of the signal interconnect between the two units...

Inductive pick up isn’t the same issue as earth loops... both can cause buz, hum and other such annoyances.