Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

kenwood KFC M1628A 3 way 6.5 Speakers

ssilent11

Reaction score
My son just bought a vr statesman and now has a kenwood system to install.
The amp, hd unit and speakers are all kenwood.
I have been given the job of installing it all. The only problem i seem to have is with the front kenwood 3 way 6.5" speakers. The speakers sit in the pod in the door ok but the centre midrange and tweeter sit up a little to high, thus preventing the door trim from being installed correctly. Can you buy different pods, or do i cut away some of the plastic reinforce ribbing on the inside of the door trim behind the speaker grille.
Also may i ask whether i can leave the current speaker wires in the door, and then just run speaker cable from the amp in the boot to the wiring loom behind the hd unit. the speakers are rated at: peak power 280W, Rated power40W.
Hope someone can help.
Kindest Regards
ssilent11

jds303

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VS EXEC S2
you could try cutting the plastic grill completely out of the centre of the pod, or just where the tweeter would protrude. the factory metal mesh grilles (easily sourced if they didn't come with the car) will cover this and hopefully give you a good few extra mm of installation space. failing this, if you have enough depth left in the door, a custom spacer made of mdf rings is another option.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
if you have nice looking speakers you might want to just leave the covers off (cut em out) completely, rather than replacing

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
you will gain about 5mm from cutting the plastic bars. you can make new pods and cut some of the inner door metal out, but by carefully selecting the right slope to put on the replacement mdf spacers, you can make, it will mean that no metal will need to be cut.