Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kepping her standard?

traindriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Sedan 3.3 Injected
Here is my VK pride and joy :

vk.jpg

She is stock standard except for extractors.

I have had a neat comment saying how origional she looks and I should keep her that way/
This has really altered my focus on how I look at my car now and I think I might just do that - keep her standard as.

I was wanting to put cop rims on her from a VS and powder coat them silver as part of the bigger picture, but would that destroy the whole "standard" look (those wheel covers just scream "nan and grandad")

The paint is in need of a respray and a couple of carpark blemishes need to be removed, but as far as I can tell she has no rust anywhere.

I guess what I am asking is:

Should I keep the overall exterior look of the car "as is" - minty fresh like she has just left the showroom?

Would any other rims be able to do the same job of keeping that standard look?

Would it be wrong to build a hot motor for her, or just get the origional bought back to factory specs?

Any input would be apreciated.

Cheers
AndrewOfNZ

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I made that comment from looking at the photo. Heck, even the mud flaps look original. It's not everyday you see one looking like that without it having the side strips pulled off or a set of mags put on along with a letterbox grille. :)

Jimboss

Reaction score
I think it is all a personal choice, my car (when i got it) was completely stock, except extractors, LPG system and Heavy Duty Suspension, but the paint wasn't mint, mind you it is still great, and it had done a few kays (250ish).

I decided to go down the road of modifying what i felt it needed, i have repainted the interior, decent speakers, lowered, 17's.

In my opinion i like what i have done, i wanted to keep the stock body shape (i don't like any of the kits available for the VH), which i have done, and everything i have done is still tasteful (only exception might be the painted interior).

I have only ever got one negative comment about the interior though, but why keep it mint when the 'mint' status is not going to give you any extra value (mine had too many kay's)? and the door trims were crap and looked really tired, but now they have a new lease on life :)

Outlaw Torn

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 FORD EA Falcon (So sue me)
IMO i think the fact that u dont see stock VK's very often gives yours a special quality in how it looks. I'd keep it stock, just so u can say "thats wot a VK is supposed to look like"

gd81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII Sv6 Manual
VK EFI 202's had extractors Standard.
So sounds like your VK is stock standard.
Anyway it's your car, if you like the intercepter wheels then go for it.

Jimbo6443

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 310 Pack
My opinion for what it's worth, is to keep the car as original as possible.

My VB SL/E is in original condition. I have even kept the original radio in the car. Everywhere I go, people still freak out & comment at how original it is.

Morgasshk

Morgasshk
Reaction score
Website
www.personaltradingpost.com.au
Members Ride
VY Exec 3.8L Sedan 9C1 Pack
as long as it keeps the original shape I'm happy, VK is sexy no matter what she is dressed in... :p

vk3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
BT50............ while the vk is rebuilt
If that was my car i'd do the following.

Exterior
Respray the same colour.
15" or 16" 5 spoke chrome rims
Tinted windows

Interior
Keep it original. From the photo it looks like a Berlina.

Motor & box
Replace the straight 6 with a V6 and 5 speed manual.

But thats me, its your car do what you want.

Got love VK Berlina's

Oh and on the rust. When i got mine it appeared to have no rust, but when i started to rebuild it i found the rust. Check the bottom of the rear passengers door and below both rear doors. Another spot to look is the bottom of the windscreen on the left hand side.

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
Wow, That looks almost exactly the same as mine only I have a maroon grill and don't have EFI.

I also get the same comments about how clean she is and how original etc.

I reckon that you should keep it stock. I even have mine stock down to the stereo, mudflaps, hupcaps etc. I reckon they look great stock and drive fine. Not like a performance car, but, meh!

Thats just my opinion, but I reckon keep her stock because you don't see very many of these cars left that haven't been 'Done up'

But, each to his own.

BTW: The berlina hupcaps look great. Its what I have and I know its sad, but I love the whole Grandpa image thing.

VRSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 6-Speed
85berlina said:
Wow, That looks almost exactly the same as mine only I have a maroon grill and don't have EFI.

I also get the same comments about how clean she is and how original etc.

I reckon that you should keep it stock. I even have mine stock down to the stereo, mudflaps, hupcaps etc. I reckon they look great stock and drive fine. Not like a performance car, but, meh!

Thats just my opinion, but I reckon keep her stock because you don't see very many of these cars left that haven't been 'Done up'

But, each to his own.

BTW: The berlina hupcaps look great. Its what I have and I know its sad, but I love the whole Grandpa image thing.

same as me, mines a Berlina with a marron grill and EFI, but i've done a few things to mine..
Mags, got rid of mudflaps, stereo, letterbox grill (not on yet) etc

In my opinion do a few little things to it, just tint the windows, put a decent stereo in it, make it a nice cruiser :)