Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Key battery missing when car was purchased, car won't start anymore.

Drfforever97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT equipe
I've recently purchased a 99 VT equipe from my mother, who has upgraded, the key was already buggered and has been taken apart.. so it has no battery, which means no use of buttons, door lock entry etc.. but car would 99.9% of the time start second attempt at turning over.

Now it cranks and doesnt start, i thought ut may have been the fuel pump.. checked by having a mate turn the key while i stick my ear up to the petrol cap, its working.

Any ideas? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Have you considered a new key head?

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Where do we start, was the engine starting on the second attempt when the key had its battery.

Drfforever97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT equipe
The car used to start with and without key battery

Starter motors recently been done, batterys brand new, ive checked the alternator with a multimeter, all is fine there, I've narrowed it down to the fuel pump but i can hear that start up when i go to start the car.

Is there a possble problem with harmonic balancer or crank angle sensor?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Seeing as it's been taken apart.
Maybe the little contact on the fob, is not contacting the rings around the ignition switch properly.

Drfforever97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT equipe
Apparently theres a 2 hour wait if i want to bypass the immobilizer.. or could i also disconnect the battery, turn the key to "on" and recconnect the battery? Just for the purpose of getting to the locksmiths?

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
I've recently purchased a 99 VT equipe from my mother, who has upgraded, the key was already buggered and has been taken apart.. so it has no battery, which means no use of buttons, door lock entry etc.. but car would 99.9% of the time start second attempt at turning over.

Now it cranks and doesnt start, i thought ut may have been the fuel pump.. checked by having a mate turn the key while i stick my ear up to the petrol cap, its working.

Any ideas? Anything would be greatly appreciated.
The key pad is for the purpose of immobilising also, anti theft. You would need to go to Holden to receive a replacement also to have it programed. Without a keypad Mr minute at a shopping plazza couldn't even help you even if you had the key. It could cost you about $500 l herd. Unless your mum has a spare, then $130 at Mr minute for a key and genuine keypad including reprogramming.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
well that is lack of maintenance for you
your options now are very limited
your mums going to need to go to holden with her rego papers and proof of id
a new remote programmed could cost around $150 - $200
a quality lock smith, not local shopping centre, may also be able to program from vin number with proof of ownership
this is assuming car has the original bcm
whilst you are at it, get two remotes so when one dies you are not up this creek again
mr minit etc simply clone your remote, so if you clone a faulty remote you will end up with two faulty remotes
now for not starting, when you crank the engine does the red mode light stop flashing

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
....Maybe the little contact on the fob, is not contacting the rings around the ignition switch properly.

Agree with Nut Kracker, one of the ways to disable the theft deterrent system is "By inserting the remote coded key into the ignition switch cylinder and turning the ignition to the ON or run position. This causes the BCM to read a security code serial data output from the remote coded key contact pin via the remote coded key reader assembly."

If you were able to start the car previously only using the ignition key, then probably the key is not making contact with the slip ring.

And no, disconnecting the battery won't get you around the two hour wait time.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Agree with Nut Kracker, one of the ways to disable the theft deterrent system is "By inserting the remote coded key into the ignition switch cylinder and turning the ignition to the ON or run position. This causes the BCM to read a security code serial data output from the remote coded key contact pin via the remote coded key reader assembly."

If you were able to start the car previously only using the ignition key, then probably the key is not making contact with the slip ring.

And no, disconnecting the battery won't get you around the two hour wait time.
Without the battery in the keypad contact on the ignition ring won't deactivate immobilizer. I herd from someone if the battery is removed the keypad is wiped. The car wont start without a coded key.