Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

key battery

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
now my key is starting to play up every now and then it wont unlock doors have to do it manualy its usualy rite after i have it ignition for a little while ...i rang the battery place they said they dont sell the batteries and the guy said he had a go at soldiering one in and it diddnt work ,,i found a add on ebay that sells them for 30 bucks ..my question is has anyone soldiered one in and been successful that dude may of soldiered it the wrong way around

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
30 far out its a cr2032 which jaycar sell for $3.25, you don't need to have the exact one just unpick the spot-weld on battery both sides then solder the 2 tabs from the new button battery on to the original tabs you unpicked and trim off any overlap.
When pulling apart remove 2 screws and blade be careful not to damage the responder that contacts your slipring, I use a butter knife and put it in where the key head sets and twist to pull a part, if you crack the plastic you can always buy the shell at auto stores but cheaper on ebay, if you get it apart undamaged then just superglue it back together.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/cr2032-vc-3v-pcb-mounting-lithium-coin-battery/p/SB1762

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
30 far out its a cr2032 which jaycar sell for $3.25, you don't need to have the exact one just unpick the spot-weld on battery both sides then solder the 2 tabs from the new button battery on to the original tabs you unpicked and trim off any overlap.
When pulling apart remove 2 screws and blade be careful not to damage the responder that contacts your slipring, I use a butter knife and put it in where the key head sets and twist to pull a part, if you crack the plastic you can always buy the shell at auto stores but cheaper on ebay, if you get it apart undamaged then just superglue it back together.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/cr2032-vc-3v-pcb-mounting-lithium-coin-battery/p/SB1762
Yeah thanks key shell shell pulls apart fine and i know where to get a battery with the prongs allready attatched for ten bucks with postage just wondering at the success rate of it as i been told it doesnt work and read varying failures and succeses this my only key if i mess it up going to cost me more

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
A Genuine one will last a lot longer than a cheap aftermarket one,
and the replacement batteries don't last that long either.
Been there, done that,
ended up buying 2 x Genuine Key Heads and the rest is history.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
there is an ebay add selling what they claim to be genuine replacement batteries they even have the yellow plastic ring around them $30 though

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Why are you wasting time, money and frustration with a new battery.
Take your old key and key code to a locksmith and have him put a new head on your old blade.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
out of pricaple mostly i think its an absoulute rip and planned this way if nots then why arnt the new keys made with replaceable batteries this is dangerous could end up stranded in the middle of nowhere not to mention i can afford 200 bucks for a new one or 130 bucks just finished taking it over the pits replacing k frame new headlights new tcc solanoid new diff oil what else do these fcking manufacturers want from us wouldnt suprise if me commodore kept going if they slapped a rubber timing belt on it that needed to be replaced every 100k

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
interesting if i cant desolder it i will do this i still got some life in mine just every now and then it doesnt work like its just begining to wig out never know could just be a lock foible but seems to work ok after putting the key in ignition but im under the impression the ignition strip gives it a charge

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SV6 Commodore
RS Components stock and will ship in like a day the exact battery with the correct solder tags to mount in those boards for a few bucks. If you are handy with a soldering iron, this is clean and cheap fix.