Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

key battery

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SV6 Commodore
interesting if i cant desolder it i will do this i still got some life in mine just every now and then it doesnt work like its just begining to wig out never know could just be a lock foible but seems to work ok after putting the key in ignition but im under the impression the ignition strip gives it a charge
Reasonably sure this was the battery cell I last used>>>>> https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/button-batteries/5132871/

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SV6 Commodore
Hey Ant, yeah possibly. It's a dead easy fix, most difficult part is levering the case open without damaging it as they appear to have run a bead of something akin to superglue around the case edge. I found supporting the fob in a vise and using a blunt but thin butter knife or similar to run around and prise apart the edges to work ok.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Hey Ant, yeah possibly. It's a dead easy fix, most difficult part is levering the case open without damaging it as they appear to have run a bead of something akin to superglue around the case edge. I found supporting the fob in a vise and using a blunt but thin butter knife or similar to run around and prise apart the edges to work ok.
Not a problem with mine comes apart easy either its aftermarket or someones had a go at it maybe they did that solderless method come to think of it and its losing contact might check that out

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Not a problem with mine comes apart easy either its aftermarket or someones had a go at it maybe they did that solderless method come to think of it and its losing contact might check that out
just check out U-Tube, why bother spending 30 on a battery which are the same as jaycar but without the extended tab which you can solder onto anyway, they spot weld the tabs on so either cut it or break it but make sure you have enough to over lap, if you don't want to gamble then either get the MAP kit and do your own or pay to have it done.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
You can get them [Key Heads] for approx. $40 off ebay inc postage,
If you were in Melbourne, depending were you are, and willing to travel, Id program it in for a small donation.

Last edited:

henstepper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY commodore Executive s2
my key started doing the same thing today. it refused to lock the car pushed it for 10 minutes but because i was at the shops and needed to go in i locked it manually and decided to deal with it when i had finished. I came back out to the car and it worked to unlock. I got home and it locked without any hiccup. The battery is obviously on the way out. My question is, If i lock the door manually with the key itself instead of the lock button on the key, then i unlock the door manually without using the unlock button will this trigger the alarm? and if so, will it still let me drive once the key is in the ignition or will it immobilize?the manual book says the alarm is not set if you use the key manually, only if you use the button so i guess you can still drive it?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Once you unlock it with the Key Head,
it recognised the Key, and disables the immobiliser, so you are able to start it,
Sometimes they do that, and yes, the battery could be on its way out,

On side not:
You must of placed the Key in your Pocket after you got to the shops,
so your body heat as heated the battery up, and made it come alive.
Just like years ago, putting STD batteries in the oven, and heating them up for 10 minutes and gave them a second life :D

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
my key started doing the same thing today. it refused to lock the car pushed it for 10 minutes but because i was at the shops and needed to go in i locked it manually and decided to deal with it when i had finished. I came back out to the car and it worked to unlock. I got home and it locked without any hiccup. The battery is obviously on the way out. My question is, If i lock the door manually with the key itself instead of the lock button on the key, then i unlock the door manually without using the unlock button will this trigger the alarm? and if so, will it still let me drive once the key is in the ignition or will it immobilize?the manual book says the alarm is not set if you use the key manually, only if you use the button so i guess you can still drive it?
It might of been a dead spot when you pressed it, mine does that in a certain spot.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Once you unlock it with the Key Head,
it recognised the Key, and disables the immobiliser, so you are able to start it,
Sometimes they do that, and yes, the battery could be on its way out,

On side not:
You must of placed the Key in your Pocket after you got to the shops,
so you body heat as heated the battery up, and made it come alive.
Just like years ago, putting STD batteries in the oven, and heating them up for 10 minutes and gave them a second life :D
Just like a car battery if its a bit flat boiling water over it sometimes is enough to get you going.