Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

key battery

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
got all the information i needed from this thread including a cheap battery where to get it thanks everyone

Juddy73

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz
Hi guys, can’t find the answer I’m looking for here so hoping someone can help. I bought a replacement cover for my battery from supercheap, still doesn’t work. The battery has 2.95 volts so you’d think that would still be enough for a 3v battery. Any ideas ? TIA

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Hi guys, can’t find the answer I’m looking for here so hoping someone can help. I bought a replacement cover for my battery from supercheap, still doesn’t work. The battery has 2.95 volts so you’d think that would still be enough for a 3v battery. Any ideas ? TIA
So how is a shell going to solve a transmitter from not working, you need to explain the problem from the start and why did you change the shell?

Juddy73

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz
The buttons were missing from the shell, so I bought a new shell and it still didn’t work, so I figured the 3v battery must have been flat so was going to change it as I thought that must be the problem. I put a multi meter on it and it has plenty of power so I’m unsure why it won’t open my central locking. The car starts ok.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Have u checked the fuse, did u test the volts pressing a button. Is it the original fob, has the fob being wet?

Juddy73

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz
Have u checked the fuse, did u test the volts pressing a button. Is it the original fob, has the fob being wet?
No idea about the fob being wet or original as I have just bought the car. No I haven't tested the volts when pressing the button, and no I haven't check for a blown fuse. Will look into these things. Thanks Trevor.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
No idea about the fob being wet or original as I have just bought the car. No I haven't tested the volts when pressing the button, and no I haven't check for a blown fuse. Will look into these things. Thanks Trevor.
Well that makes it hard then, could have a non matching BCM and fob.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

That [2.92V] could only be a surface charge, where under load [when you press the button] it could drop to 1.5 > 2 Volts,
So it does not not have enough current to operate the Key Head.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
30 far out its a cr2032 which jaycar sell for $3.25, you don't need to have the exact one just unpick the spot-weld on battery both sides then solder the 2 tabs from the new button battery on to the original tabs you unpicked and trim off any overlap.
When pulling apart remove 2 screws and blade be careful not to damage the responder that contacts your slipring, I use a butter knife and put it in where the key head sets and twist to pull a part, if you crack the plastic you can always buy the shell at auto stores but cheaper on ebay, if you get it apart undamaged then just superglue it back together.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/cr2032-vc-3v-pcb-mounting-lithium-coin-battery/p/SB1762

You should not apply heat to a lithium batteries,
as they have the potential to explode, and with doing that,
you could lose your eyesight,
Losing your eyesight worth it for a $40 Key Head, and the cost of programming a New Key Head in.
As mentioned earlier in the thread, refusal to pay $200,
If you pay $200+, your being ripped off.
You should be able to get a new [Genuine] Key Head for under $100.

Last edited: