Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Key fob won’t open the doors but ignition starts with key

JeanA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF
The remote wouldn’t open the car doors, we changed the battery but it still doesn’t work. They car however still starts with the key

It’s a VF

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
can the remote do any other functions? Like boot, remote start, horn etc. How about your spare?

JeanA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF
can the remote do any other functions? Like boot, remote start, horn etc. How about your spare?

It won’t do anything else. Unfortunately for the life of me I cannot find the spare (moved houses x2 )

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
When you are inside the car try this instead of putting the remote in the bowl in front of the cup-holders:
Open the centre console box and, with the key-end of the remote, insert it into the slot where the USB port is.
A message on the DIC should come up to indicate if there is something wrong with the remote, other than the battery (which you say you have replaced, but should be checked again for correct orientation).

DO NOT rely on this method for starting the car each and every time. It is only a last-resort option until you have replaced the battery or had the remote(s) examined.

If this method does not produce anything, take the car to Kerry Holden, or arrange a call-out. Avoid the temptation to experiment endlessly when the problem may be either simple (with the remote(s) or something involving the car's security e.g. failure to 'handshake' or recognise the (or any) remote.

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
When you are inside the car try this instead of putting the remote in the bowl in front of the cup-holders:
Open the centre console box and, with the key-end of the remote, insert it into the slot where the USB port is.
A message on the DIC should come up to indicate if there is something wrong with the remote, other than the battery (which you say you have replaced, but should be checked again for correct orientation).

DO NOT rely on this method for starting the car each and every time. It is only a last-resort option until you have replaced the battery or had the remote(s) examined.

If this method does not produce anything, take the car to Kerry Holden. Avoid the temptation to experiment endlessly when the problem may be either simple (with the remote(s) or something with the car's involving the car's security e.g. failure to 'handshake' the remote.

Is the vehicle 'push button' start or key start?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Is the vehicle 'push button' start or key start?

Mine is push-button; I did it once last year (I got a fright, as I was in the middle of nowhere north of Coober Pedy).
The owner's manual makes no differentiation between key-operated or push-button start, same bypass described using console box. OP has stated car starts with key but the remote does not unlock, so there is a problem somewhere.

Last edited:

JeanA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF

If this method does not produce anything, take the car to Kerry Holden, or arrange a call-out. Avoid the temptation to experiment endlessly when the problem may be either simple (with the remote(s) or something involving the car's security e.g. failure to 'handshake' or recognise the (or any) remote.

Thanks, tried that, it didn’t work

We took it to Kerry’s and they said that they need the spare key and quoted just under $1,000
Thanks,

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
One thing I'm loath to recommend is to reset the Vehicle Security system settings through the MyLink menu cascade.
This will reset everything to factory settings (I think maps will remain intact, but not sure about software version — two different things). The means of doing this is in one of the last menu headers in MyLink.

Thanks, tried that, it didn’t work

We took it to Kerry’s and they said that they need the spare key and quoted just under $1,000
Thanks,

She said what!?
$1,000!?
Come on, crack out the gin before I cark it. Before I draw my last breath, just what was that $1,000 quote for??
One more idea:
It should not be in the car of course, but in the house. Whip this out and take it to a locksmith: it's the IMPORTANT SECURITY INFORMATION card listing the Ignition Key No. and Security Code required for matching new keys and remotes to the car (coded to the VIN): all VFs have this card, including those sold second hand. This card can be taken to/shown to a locksmith who will hopefully not try to fleece you. Locksmiths that commonly code aftermarket remotes can work by this. I cannot guarantee they all do it.

Your predicament could be improved though if you could find the second remote.

Last edited:

JeanA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF
We ended up having a auto electrician look at it and guess what, the battery wasn’t sitting properly in the key. So ended up costing $50 for the call out

The bloody dealership had looked at the key and declared it a issue with the car itself. Bloody rip offs