Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Key / Immobiliser / Starting Issue.

Utetopia2015

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SII SS (Ute), ZB RS
I seem to have a small conundrum.
I've browsed various sites looking for an answer, but none have exactly the same problem, hence the new thread.

I have an issue with the key button for my '02 VUII SS ute not unlocking my doors. The first time this happened was 2am Sunday 24/5/15, after work. Press the buttons - nothing. I unlocked the car with my key (the alarm has long been disconnected), but of course the immobiliser is still activated. Turning the key in the ignition results in the engine firing, but then instantly stopping. This was done 5ish times, until eventually, i noticed the immobiliser off (the red flashing light was no longer flashing), i started the car and drove home.

The second time this happened was 11am Sunday 24/5/15. Push the button, nothing. The car was already unlocked from the night before, but the immobiliser was activated again (more on that later). Turning the key in the ignition results in the engine firing, but then instantly stopping. Several times. This time, it would not stay running. I had to borrow another car to get to work.

First thing I thought was that the key battery was flat.

Monday morning i ring a locksmith. He takes the key off me, and it works. He locks it and unlocks it several times, and starts the car and stops the car twice.
I make the decision to get a new key anyway. He codes the new key to my car. 10 minutes.

This was fine for a week.

Third time it happened was 1am Monday 1/6/15 - a week later. Push button to unlock. Nothing. Unlock the door with my key manually. Turning the key in the ignition results in the engine firing, but then instantly stopping. I push the button. Nothing. No sound of the locks mechanism moving. Nothing. I see that the immobiliser is off, i start the car, and drive home. The key buttons dont work when i get home.

Also, the immobiliser tends to turn back on by itself. The car can be unlocked, and the red flashing light flashes.

I know the issue is not a key battery issue. That was replaced a week ago.
Is it an immobiliser issue? Key signal receiver issue? BCM issue?
It also seems to happen when the air temperature is low.
My location is Melbourne.

Utetopia2015

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SII SS (Ute), ZB RS

Thanks
Its a possibility at work, because the first and third times it happened, I was parked in exactly the same spot. (Although have parked there in between)
First thing's first, I'll park in a different spot.

The second time I was in my garage, where it hasnt been a problem for the last 5 years.

And today i just tried it, and it worked.
Any ideas as to why the immobiliser activates itself, without me locking the car with the key button (which its done since I bought it in 04)