Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Key problem

Merrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Yesterday l had to call NRMA because when I tried to start my VY, the alarm kept going off. The NRMA man said that the metal pin with a ball head that sticks out of my key holder was missing out of my key. The key screws were loose and it must have fallen out and is lost. He took the key and did something to it put it back in the ignition and somehow started the car without the alarm going off. He said I should see a locksmith on Monday morning. I will but now I'm at home and wondering what he did to start the car because when I try to start it, the alarm goes off. Any suggestions please?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
27C77964-21B3-4CA9-BDC0-A194F0C46AF6.jpeg

That nib has to contact the metal ring around the ignition. He might have bodged something up to do that and it’s fallen out again.

I get my genuine keys at Mr Minit and they cost about $120-$150.

He is suggesting you get a new key head/body. They program them there and it’s best to ask them to do it off the security codes found in the cars user manual. They’ll be on a business card in the booklet cover.

Merrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
View attachment 233309
That nib has to contact the metal ring around the ignition. He might have bodged something up to do that and it’s fallen out again.

I get my genuine keys at Mr Minit and they cost about $120-$150.

He is suggesting you get a new key head/body. They program them there and it’s best to ask them to do it off the security codes found in the cars user manual. They’ll be on a business card in the booklet cover.

Thanks for that extra info. By trial and error. I figured out what he did - he pressed the unlock button on the key as he turned the ignition and the car started.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
That is a new one and an interesting one.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Rick Astley pressing the unlock button while turning the key.

I don’t get how it works but if it works, it works.

The button sends the IR signal to the sun sensor in the centre of the dash at the windscreen. Then the pin contacts the security ring and the coded data in the key matches the coded data in the BCM. If the battery in the key is flat, the key is powered via the ring. Door won’t unlock but the coded data is able to be read. Door can be opened with the key.

So from what I know, it’s sort of two separate systems working together.

That’s why it’s new one to me. I’ve not seen it in the Holden literature before.

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
If the immobiliser is deactivated by using the unlock button on the key fob you can start it without the knob on your key. You can even start it with a vn type key, as long as the padlock isn’t flashing and it’s cut for the car. One thing I’ve been curious about is it actually data read by the bcm or just a certain resistance? Thru the slip ring obviously.
The remote receiver/sunload sensors are weird as, I’ve tried so hard to modify them to increase distance but never been successful, has anyone else tried?

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Rick Astley pressing the unlock button while turning the key.

I don’t get how it works but if it works, it works.

The button sends the IR signal to the sun sensor in the centre of the dash at the windscreen. Then the pin contacts the security ring and the coded data in the key matches the coded data in the BCM. If the battery in the key is flat, the key is powered via the ring. Door won’t unlock but the coded data is able to be read. Door can be opened with the key.

So from what I know, it’s sort of two separate systems working together.

That’s why it’s new one to me. I’ve not seen it in the Holden literature before.
I was razzing you about your QR code link to Rick Astley

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride