Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Key Refuses To Unlock Drivers Door

Verillius

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Vacationer Wagon
Okay, so I finished work and went out to the car to head on home and found that my key refuses to turn in my drivers side door lock.
After searching the multitudes of posts on the forums, have found none that quite match my issue.
The door is not deadlocked, the lock is vertical not horizontal, I can turn the key in the passenger side door and get into the car, the problem is that the key will not budge in the drivers side lock. Its not the key, as the spare key does the same thing. Its slightly frustrating... any ideas?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
can you unlock the driver side door from the inside?

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Its slightly frustrating... any ideas?

I think it's an elaborate practical joke your work mates have played on you. The old "change his door lock barrels while he isn't looking" trick. They must be amateurs though, you're supposed to do all the doors, then they try to climb in through the boot and you lock them in and go to the pub.

Verillius

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Vacationer Wagon
okay, so found a post through google that suggested that maybe the lock was just jammed through grime buildup, grabbed some wd40 and sprayed inside the lock barrel and sure enough, with a little bit of pressure, shes come good.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Awesome :) Glad you fixed it with something so simple!!

rosiebuttons

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Executive Commodore
Glad you broached this subject... I have been having the same issue with my passenger side door for yonks. Will give the WD40 a go too! Cheers :)

Verillius

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Vacationer Wagon
just push the straw in about 5mm at a time, give a quick spray, then repeat until its all the way into the barrel, then give it about five minutes to soak in to the parts.

bj42turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Executive
Glad you broached this subject... I have been having the same issue with my passenger side door for yonks. Will give the WD40 a go too! Cheers :)

You really shouldn't use a oil based product in locks as over time the dust sticks to it a makes it more sticky.

Dazz

rosiebuttons

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Executive Commodore
You really shouldn't use a oil based product in locks as over time the dust sticks to it a makes it more sticky.

Dazz

Thanks Dazz... I had already tried it last night, but it hasn't solved the problem LOL I have had a new key cut and that hasn't helped it either :S