Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Key replacement

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Been researching getting a new key for my Statesman. It only came with one and I lost it a while back. Car is locked and all books are inside so getting key code info is challenging...

Anyone had success getting a new key cut/programmed without a second key or key code info? Obviously buying a blank key of eBay is easy enough, it's just the next step. Can Holden unravel the puzzle if I provide proof of ownership?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If you take your VIN and proof of ownership to a Holden dealer, they should be able to help.
Remember to take a full wallet...

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
I have used my local holden dealer several times for different models requiring a code for a key or even radio codes and it has never cost me a cent

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I have used my local holden dealer several times for different models requiring a code for a key or even radio codes and it has never cost me a cent

Did you ever have to actually buy a key?

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
when i had my VR Calais i bought a key from the local dealer first and last time but i've gotten the key code and radio code on both my VT II and the VY II and i bought the keys from the locksmith i have used since holden sent me there to get the key blade cut on the VR ;)

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps

I can imagine buying a genuine replacement key from them would be exxy, I'm not planning on going down that route. Thanks for your advice above.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Do you have any Service Records ?,
The earlier ones had the information on them at the tope of page/s,
Otherwise, you may have to get into it [Car] with a coat hanger wire,
If you have a old Key, it should unlock the car it at least,
If the alarm goes off, just put the key in the ignition and turn the key to start and the alarm should stop.

I purchase a couple of VY Key Heads, from Camberwell Locksmiths in Victoria,
used the old Key Blades, programmed them into the car, and the rest is history.
I also had a mate of mine, he also wanted two new Key Heads for his VXII, and he also used the old Key Blades,
and I programmed them in, and hasn't faulted,
my Daughters partner needed to replace ta faulty Key Head, he purchased one from Camberwell Locksmiths, and programmed that in, and works perfectly.
Where I guess we have been lucky its only been the Key Heads,
As a personnel choice, only buy Genuine Key Heads.
I have done a few other for customers, and only used Genuine ones, might cost a few dollars more, its worth it,
Because the knock offs don't last, then you have to pay the same again, so you end up paying twice.

On side note -
I did purchase a could of Keys cut to Code for my VE from Amalgamated Locksmiths in Newstead Queensland,
And programmed them in myself, and they worked perfectly.

Sorry members,
I posted this in the wrong area, I though I was in the VY Forum, Oops !

Last edited:

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
I can imagine buying a genuine replacement key from them would be exxy, I'm not planning on going down that route. Thanks for your advice above.
If i remember correctly it was around $220 or $260 just for the key head and a further $20 or $30 for an uncut key blade,$10 to get the blade cut and then another $80 to program it via the holden workshop but a guy was in there for a replacement VE key one of the flip ones and it was over $400 just for the key head. Since then i have bought all my keys from the locksmith all genuine holden key heads for less than $200 programed to the car

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Don't Purchase one from the Stealers [Dealers]
I purchased a Flip Key from Amalgamated Locksmiths in Newstead QLD, cut to code for $99 inc GST & Postage to Melb. this was in November 2018, so priced may of changed since then.
complete Key was $66
Cutting was $33
Free Postage because I rang them direct.
I seen them advertised on eBay a fair bit,
but rang them directly and spoke to a person of the name of Wayne, very helpful, since I rang direct, they inc the postage.
There was a minor issue at the start [miss understanding], they resolved it, and was very happy with my purchase.
When you receive it, it will start the car, but only run for 10 seconds,
as the immobiliser doesn't recognise it.
You just need to get it programmed in, there is 2 stages of programming,
  1. Immobiliser programming [For Starting the Car]
  2. Remote programming [Locking and Unlocking]
Its not hard, but take about 15 minutes for both options.
I just re-programming all 4 key of mine into my car last night, took approx. 20 min all up,
as I had all the gear out just to do one where the Remote had died,
where I purchased a S/Hand VE Wagon Key off eBay just for the "Remote Circuit Board", replaced the fault one, and programmed it in, worked perfectly.

Last edited:

bureng

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 HSV R8 Tourer Wagon E3
HSV R8 Sportswagon 2011
Had a complete new key cut and new fob programmed by Locked-On automotive locksmiths Melbourne last Friday 26th July 2019.
Ring 0421 541 547 Michael Moran and he will come to you, he is totally professional has a van setup with a full workshop . Built a new key and reconditioned my old one for just under a few hundred dollars.

Last edited: