Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Key tip broke off in ignition barrel

Joe Sixpack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive Sedan
Hi guys, just joined and am starting this thread because I seriously messed up.

I was down at the supermarket and accidentally bent the ignition key of my VS Commodore sedan about a centimetre in from the tip, so I bent it back to straight and noticed a tiny crack in it at the point where it was bent. I had to get back home from the shops so I put the key in, prayed and turned it. Nothing. So I pull the key back out and the small piece from the end of the key (about 1cm) was stuck inside. Just what I hoped wouldn't happen. Grrrrrrr!

Anyway, I had a replacement key but of course now it won't go in all the way (1cm short), so I can't start the car. I've tried tweezers but can't get a grip on the snapped off piece of key.

I'm in a crap financial position at the moment so would prefer not to have to pay someone a few hundred bucks to get the tip of the ignition key out of the ignition barrel?

Does anyone have any advice about how to get this piece of the key out... or am I screwed?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Only thing I can think of is to take the spare blade of the fob and use a very strong magnet (rare earth type) on the head of the spare to try and drag the broken bit out...Or a tint dot of super glue on the end of the spare blade ...will prob end in tears though...good luck ;)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Can you get the barrel to turn? If yes then you should be able to remove the barel and have have a locksmith remove the piece. Should not be any more than 50 bucks. But you will need the barrel out first.