Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Key Won't Turn in Ignition

wiseman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 3.8
A 98 VS Ute, sometime when i go to my car, i press the button on the key to unlock the door, then when i get in, i put the key in the ignition, and sometimes it won't turn!

It's not the steering wheel lock jamming it, more like an electrical problem, where the key makes contact, sometimes it takes a lot of trys to get it to work. I cleaned the contact points on the key, and ignition surround, but it still happens. The remote still opens the doors when i press the button.
The batteries in the key are about 2.5 to 3 years old.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
If the key won't turn then you probably need to get a new barrel. A common problem.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
There is a tab at the bottom of the barrel that breaks off. You will need to replace the barrel while you are still able to turn the key as you need it in the "on" position to remove it. Once the key stops turning altogether, it becomes a more complicated job.

wiseman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 3.8
There is a tab at the bottom of the barrel that breaks off. You will need to replace the barrel while you are still able to turn the key as you need it in the "on" position to remove it. Once the key stops turning altogether, it becomes a more complicated job.

How do go about replacing the barrel? Do i just order one from Holden?
And can a regular mechanic fit it.

DRKWGN

I Dig Hole's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bagged VS Wagon
it could also be the slip ring, the 2 peice slip ring's are prone to these problem's i just had mine replaced mine because of the same problem, holden replace it with the single slip ring, witch is the full ring around the barrell aswell as they replace the key.

it cost me $230 all up if i remember correctly

mrhotdog

What Would Jesus Do?.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim
i had my barrell go, cost me $120 from local locksmiths. And i got it all back from RAA

jimbojones889

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VR Executive Wagon
go to a locksmith and ask for some graphite powder. if the key is slightly worn then it might be that its not making contact with all the tumblers inside the ignition. should loosen them up and make it easy to start. give that a go first before spending the big bucks

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I got one from Holden for $57 then I took the barrel to a locksmith to have it coded to my key, another $16. Then the locksmith informs that they have the barrels for $40 including coding, so shop around a bit. You might as well pay a few more bucks to have the locksmith install it for you.
Don't wait too long to have it done because it will get worse and eventually, as NAAF said, you won't be able to turn it at all, making it a much bigger job to replace because you need to be able to turn the key to "ON" to remove the barrel.

wiseman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 3.8
Thanks for all the advice and replies. The key jammed up on me today, so i rang up the locksmith, and he said he could do it straight away. ( after a 50km drive to town), it cost me $125 for a new ignition barrel, supplied and fitted, and key coded. ( i think the barrel on it's own was about $55, plus coding and fitting).
Thanks again for the advice.
Wiseman

Silver_VS_II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore series II
my key parts are seperated by a small gap inbetween the two black parts of the casing, when i turn on the ignition i have to squeeze my key together never used to work untill i done that works everytime now