Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Key won't turn in VZ wagon

Shane Fahey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon & VT Calias
Hi, The better half jumped in our VZ wagon the other day and the key wouldn't turn, I have looked at the forums and tried everything,
Blew it out with a compressor,
Oiled the key,
Tried turning it as I turned then banged the steering wheel from one side to the other,
Noticed the key doesn't appear to be going all the way in, just missing the contact ring,
Question 1
could it be the actual steering lock section and not the ignition barrel that's causing this.
Question 2
How hard could I pull on the wheel before I stuff something.

I have got the steering wheel off and all the controls (blinkers and washers) and all that's left is the cast iron unit that enclosures the ignition lock.
This appears to be a one piece section, (seen a forum for the VS which said this section was in two parts)
Question 3
Is this removed with a puller,
Question 3
If you do remove this with a puller and it is the steering wheel lock section, won't I damage the steering wheel lock.

Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

To top it off we are literally in the middle of moving 450km's away, done one trip but now need to get this fixed to get it moved.

Thanks Shane

MJC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
I dont know too much on this however i can say the key has to go all the way in as when its all the way in the small metal bump on ur key touches the metal ring around the ignition which disables the immobiliser.

Sorry i couldnt be of any more help

Mike

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Hi, The better half jumped in our VZ wagon the other day and the key wouldn't turn, I have looked at the forums and tried everything,
Blew it out with a compressor,
Oiled the key,
Tried turning it as I turned then banged the steering wheel from one side to the other,
Noticed the key doesn't appear to be going all the way in, just missing the contact ring,
Question 1
could it be the actual steering lock section and not the ignition barrel that's causing this.
Question 2
How hard could I pull on the wheel before I stuff something.

I have got the steering wheel off and all the controls (blinkers and washers) and all that's left is the cast iron unit that enclosures the ignition lock.
This appears to be a one piece section, (seen a forum for the VS which said this section was in two parts)
Question 3
Is this removed with a puller,
Question 3
If you do remove this with a puller and it is the steering wheel lock section, won't I damage the steering wheel lock.

Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

To top it off we are literally in the middle of moving 450km's away, done one trip but now need to get this fixed to get it moved.

Thanks Shane

there was a thread a lil bit back somwone had a similar problem, i think the ignition barrell had jammed, a pin inside it locks up or comes apart, if you have it apart allready get a mobile locksmith to have a gander at it

Shane Fahey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon & VT Calias
Thanks Mike
Thought that was the case

Ended up, biting the bullet went at the lock with a few screwdrivers and a hammer got it out to the last lock and then could turn it to accessories using the key and use the release hole to get the barrel out, pick up a new barrel tomorrow for $90, and they'll fit my same keys to them for free.

Luckily I hadn't moved a set of cheap screw drivers my wife brought, so I saved my good ones.

Didn't try and wouldn't suggest attempting to pull the section that houses the lock barrel off.

Get back to moving now.