Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Keyless Boot?

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Hi, l've bought my self a vs seris II for my first car and unfortunately, it doesn't have keyless boot entry. I was wondering on if and how l would go about installing this.

Also, l'm thinking of getting a turbo for it as l have $2000. Would you recomend it, as l'm spending about $2000 (hey l'm 17 , its either this or a bodykit for now), would it give my car a noticible improvement?

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Keyless boot entry can be done as I have it on my car incorporated with my car alarm remote pad. Most auto sparky places will take care of it for you, you will need to get the electronic boot release which you could pick up from a wrecker for a fairly responable price. I am pretty certain the Calais and some Berlina had them on there although don't quote me on that.

Do you have an alarm on there at present? Most quality alarms as I noted before are capable of keyless boot entry.

Have you got the lever next to the drivers seat or do you have the button for the boot in the glovebox? If it's the button it would be much easier to accomplish I would imagine since you have the electronics already.

As for the trubo, I would probably look at a supercharger over a turbo unless of course petrol consumption doesn't both you in the slightest. Turbo's stay on all the time and suck a lot of fuel whereas a supercharger tends to be a little more economical unless of course you go nuts with it and run plenty of boost along with a firm object resting on the accelerator all the time ie your foot.

Superchargers though start at around $4500 - $5000 from what I recall although these are brand new but keep in mind doesn't include fitting or being put on the dyno.

As for improvement, it sure will. I have never once heard of someone putting a turbo or a supercharger on a car and saying it goes like a shopping trolley. If you want HP you gotta have the money.

ando

Reaction score
any chance of a follow up on this ? i have a vr commodore and needed a new key made as it wouldnt start the car anymore. while i was at the holden dealer paying 105 dollars for a bloody piece of plastic and 10 cents worth of steel i asked if there was any chance of getting a boot release on the key plus what ever gizmos were required to achive this, vr vs whatever, the reply was "no chance mate." followed by " well not a new factory setup anyway". i was shocked. y the hell not !! anyways love to hear what u got up to with this ...

2_SeeK_U

Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
You can go to an autoelectrician (my mate is one, MATES RATES!!!) and they can fit one. I was going to but l choose to install an imobilizer instead as the VS isn't the safest of all cars.

I'm pretty sure you can pick up after market parts to allow you to do it if you want to install it all yourself. Don't ask me where to get it from though, my mate knew where he could get me mine .

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
You can use a standard electric door locking mechanism to act as a boot opener. It is just a matter of wiring it to operate only one way (unless you have a tailgate that is) and physically connecting it to the locking mechanism. Then wire it to a battery feed (with fuse) and to earth via a swirch or immobiliser system.

This is the cheapest way of doing it.....go to someone like Brisbane Car Sound or similar for the electric mechanism. Most auto elects can also get the parts for you.

QUESTION.....did the new Immobiliser have the two buttons so that you can now pop the boot.

regards GUY.

2_SeeK_U

Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
No, my immobilizer is actually a key sort of a thing. Apparently you can only start the car with this key.....

it doesn't do anything else.