Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Keyless entry not working, but car starts fine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
Ok, so I know there are already threads on this, but most are old, and none have this specific circumstance...
Bought a crewman, which came with one key to unlock, and another to start. Before I did any work, I checked the keyless entry on the starting key fob, and it worked fine.
As luck would have it, I had our old wagon sitting in the garage on jack stands, so switched over the door lock and ignition barrel, and swapped the key over to the crewman starting fob. Now I have one key to lock/unlock and start. But the keyless has stopped working.
Spoke to mister minit and they could replace the fob/battery, but at $180 I want to make sure this is definately the issue.
The barrel in the crewman had seized in the steering column, so I ended up swapping the whole thing. The clock spring mechanism is also broken, because none of the steering wheel buttons/horn work and was thinking could this affect keyless entry?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Two different issues.
The battery will have low voltage in the fob. The system is designed to power the fob circuit when there is no voltage via the keys contact mob and the slip ring.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
Two different issues.
The battery will have low voltage in the fob. The system is designed to power the fob circuit when there is no voltage via the keys contact mob and the slip ring.
Awesome. So sounds like a trip to mister minit will fix it then. Thankyou.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
If that fails, it can also be the sun sensor which also acts as the infrared receiver for the remote lock and unlock. It’s the flat bit between the demister vents on the dash.