Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kia Stinger 2019 - Imitation is the sincerest flattery?

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Latest Kia Stinger release in Noo Zullnd comes with....
Fantale Orange paint (Kia call it Neon orange in NZ, and Federation Orange everywhere else).

Plus optional extras such as....
Bi-modal exhaust (NZD $3,500 + fitting).
Black roof wrap (no prices yet).

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/ro...view-kia-stinger-gt-sport-neon-orange-edition.

I think I would prefer one over a VXR Commodore, but would choose a used LS3 powered VF before either of those.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Latest Kia Stinger release in Noo Zullnd comes with....
Fantale Orange paint (Kia call it Neon orange in NZ, and Federation Orange everywhere else).

Plus optional extras such as....
Bi-modal exhaust (NZD $3,500 + fitting).
Black roof wrap (no prices yet).

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/ro...view-kia-stinger-gt-sport-neon-orange-edition.

I think I would prefer one over a VXR Commodore, but would choose a used LS3 powered VF before either of those.

Are they still being sold?
For something that got such a big rap, don't see too many around...
I've seen more Magnums, and Tesla's on the road than Stingers...

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Heh, looks like a few were sold but they aren't being loved so much.
Used Stingers on Autotrader (NZ)
That's 11 of them today, 10 more than all the used Magnums I've seen for sale in the last 2 years here.
Upon closer inspection, most of those "used" 2019 Stingers appear to be dealership demos with less than 500km on the clock or new unregistered 2 litre 4-pots that nobody would want.

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
Don't know where you guys are driving but I am yet to see another Magnum on the road at all. :(

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
For something that got such a big rap, don't see too many around...

I think it's stupid consumers. For the amount of people who said they'd replace their VE/VF with a Stinger just because it was RWD and somewhat powerful (and the Commodore fanboys who were thinking it would be some stupid non-existent finger to Holden/GM) the Stinger should be a top seller, but here we are. Same thing with the Focus RS, everybody was amped to see it come out but wouldn't actually buy one for some reason.

As for the imitation thing, Kia and Hyundai are far more likely to be looking at BMW and Mercedes (just look at what they're doing with the Genesis). Holden did the same thing, you can see the really old-school BMW in their crappy pre-VE IRS design. Holden also weren't the first to come up with bi-modals or orange paint.

The VXR wouldn't even come close to being comparable at all. Stinger's twin turbo 3.3 V6 at 272kw/510nm vs the Commodore's 3.6 N/A V6 at 235kw/381nm both for the same price (or maybe not, somebody correct me)? The Stinger engine would probably have a fair bit of headroom to go higher too, they're supposed to be really fast.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Plenty of stingers around here. I’d have one if funds allowed. They’re a very nice car at a decent price point.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Heh, looks like a few were sold but they aren't being loved so much.
Used Stingers on Autotrader (NZ)
That's 11 of them today, 10 more than all the used Magnums I've seen for sale in the last 2 years here.
Upon closer inspection, most of those "used" 2019 Stingers appear to be dealership demos with less than 500km on the clock or new unregistered 2 litre 4-pots that nobody would want.
Still a surprising number for sale all at low km.
Apart from the obvious demos, did the owners get bored with the high performance?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Still a surprising number for sale all at low km.
Apart from the obvious demos, did the owners get bored with the high performance?

Almost all of them are dealer cars, only like 2 or 3 private sales in those 3 pages. Seems like a fair few of them are the 2L version too.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
i've seen a couple Stingers, meh.

would never buy it i don't think. VF is the one for me. I can see myself in this car for many years to come. I also hate ipads sticking out of the top of the dash - THIS TREND NEEDS TO DIE.