Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

kick down cable?

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
hey everyone, i know this may seem like a very stupid question but i dont know the answer so obviously thats why im asking you's...... so yeah with my kickdown cable its very loose and i was wondering is it just a matter of move it 2 where you want and tighten the nuts? or is there something else you need to do during this? because i want to make sure everything is done right=] or close 2 it hahaha.... anyways thanks heaps ppeople:D:D:D

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
All you do is press the metal tab that is near where the cable sheath is held on(its shaped like a D)and move the sheath to where you want it. Moving it to the drivers side shortens it, passenger side lengthens it. I just fiddled around with it until I got the shift points to my satisfaction.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Depress the metal tab and pull the outer cable away from the thottle body until the end of the cable contacts the adjuster fitting. Release the metal tab.

Fully open the throttle valve by hand (or put your foot flat to the floor on the accelerator). The cable will move through the adjuster fitting and automatically stop at the correct position when the throttle valve is fully opened.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
ok kool:) thanks heaps thats all i wanted to know, because i know how 2 adjust it, but i didnt know if there was something else that had to be done, thanks:)

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2 3.8L
Depress the metal tab and pull the outer cable away from the thottle body until the end of the cable contacts the adjuster fitting. Release the metal tab.

Fully open the throttle valve by hand (or put your foot flat to the floor on the accelerator). The cable will move through the adjuster fitting and automatically stop at the correct position when the throttle valve is fully opened.
The Gregorys way, the 'Correct' way, made my car rev like ****, no good at all!......... but,

All you do is press the metal tab that is near where the cable sheath is held on(its shaped like a D)and move the sheath to where you want it. Moving it to the drivers side shortens it, passenger side lengthens it. I just fiddled around with it until I got the shift points to my satisfaction.
This way works excellent for my VP 3.8L, wish I read this earlier today!!,
Colin

crocko_05

Reaction score
The Gregorys way, the 'Correct' way, made my car rev like ****, no good at all!......... but,

This way works excellent for my VP 3.8L, wish I read this earlier today!!,
Colin

This is the correct way to do it, and should only be done this way!!!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2 3.8L
This is the correct way to do it, and should only be done this way!!!

or the world will self destruct? But seriously, would it mean the throttle cable is incorrectly adjusted, if the 'correct' method for setting up the kickdown results in high revving shifts but by manually setting the position, perfect shifts are the result?
Colin

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy v6 manual ute
the cable you are talking about padrickz88 is the accelerator cabel which is adjusted using the nuts, to adjust your accelerator you have to remove your air filter so you can see if the butterfly on the throttle body is open 100% get someone to push accelerator flat to the floor and tighten the bolts up, then release accelerator.
then to adjust the kickdown cable push the metal tab in others have suggested and push adjuster fitting all the way in , push accelerator pedal all the weay to the floor and you will hear the adjuster fitting setting itself to the right spot. This is how I do it on my 5 lt so it could be different for a 6 ;)

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
The first thing i did to my vp was the gregory's method goes hard nice high shifts smooth as.This is the best way my adjuster took a fair bit of force on the cable to move it though maybe some lube first.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
thanks alot people, yeah i just got my dad to do it, took him not even a minute and she responds alot better now, so yeah running fine:D thanks people for your input