Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kicker 4ch amp, installing more speakers?

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
Hey all i have a kicker 4ch zx amp and kicker sound system.

at the moment i have 2 6" splits and a 12" sub.
My idea is to run 2 more speakers in the boot install on the sides
i was just wondering how i go about wiring these up? can i just basically piggy back them into the speaker outputs or do i have to get a separate amp? ( i dnt think you can piggy back them but just wanted that clarified) thanks all

164882_1739981670152_1556993514_1788948_2620611_n.jpg

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Hook them up to the splits channel, this will run channels 1 + 2 at 2-ohm (assuming all speakers are 4-ohm) which the amp should be capable of.

So left speakers both have positives in the channel 1 positive, both left negatives in the channel 1 negative. And both right positives in channel 2 positive and both negatives in channel 2 negative.

imag0058do.jpg
imag0059i.jpg

But in all honesty I would put a switch on the boot speakers wiring, you don't want them playing while you are driving, because this will be driving those channels to their limits and will build up heat, also the muffled noise from the boot will should crap.

Last edited:

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
ah ok thnx ill check it out

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
the speakers i'm wanting to put on are 4ohm, so i can just connect them with the matching polarities to where the 6" splits connect in yes? and then just run a switch between the 2 speakers?

Correct me if i'm wrong :p

Thanks heaps and sorry to bother you

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Why do you want to put a 2 6inch speaker in the boot?
Do you have a tv screen in the back or just want it to look good?
You can always use the boot light to switch the speakers on and off so they dont run all the time. Or use a mercury switch.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
the speakers i'm wanting to put on are 4ohm, so i can just connect them with the matching polarities to where the 6" splits connect in yes? and then just run a switch between the 2 speakers?

Correct me if i'm wrong :p

Thanks heaps and sorry to bother you

Just put a switch in-line with the positive wires on each boot speaker. Switch off, circuit is incomplete, speaker may as well not be there. Amp goes back to 4-ohms in powering the door speakers.

Or use relays are PRAVX II S is suggesting.

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
its just for when i open boot i dnt just get smashed with bass i actually have treble and for better looks haha but yer ok thanks all :)

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
Thanks all, i finally got the boot install done and looks and sounds great :) just 2 isolating switches on the positive side to turn off speakers when not needed

164549_1748188035306_1556993514_1803961_7425245_n.jpg

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I still think your a closet pimp, LOL, nah just joking. Have you thought about lining the inside of the boot lid with the same stuff?

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
i did, but i didnt know how i would attach it and couldnt really be bothered at this stage i mean going from the box by itself to a full boot install is a big step so im very happy with how it is at the moment but maybe one day in the future :p should see it at night though with the sound controlled neons in the port holes :p looks awsum :)