Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kicker CVT shallow 2 ohm or 4 ohm

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
will they have identical current draw ?

no, because they won't be "the same" they will be by two different manufacturers, using completely different designs.

The current draw will be close enough to not even bother worrying about it.

I'm sure you could find an amplifier that's more efficient into 1ohm, than a different amp is into 2ohm.

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
All im concerned about is running a 2ohm or 4ohm sub at exactly the same rms, will they sound the same will they both be as loud as one another? If the answer is yes i think the 4ohm would be the pick..

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
you should decide on the amp before you decide on the subs, if your only concern is 2ohm VS 4ohm.

they will sound the same, and be just as loud. (+-10%)

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
All im concerned about is running a 2ohm or 4ohm sub at exactly the same rms, will they sound the same will they both be as loud as one another? If the answer is yes i think the 4ohm would be the pick..
OK... Simple answer.

My preference would be to buy two 4 ohm subs and a 2 ohm stable amp of a decent brand. Only needing a 2 ohm stable amp gives you more options and 1 ohm stable amps aren't as common. Also, this is a minor difference but still a difference... Generally, going down in impedance you get a worse THD (distortion) rating.

OR

You can get two 2 ohm and use a cheap Jaycar amp.

I'm sure both options will sound the same, I just prefer to stick with name brands after recommending Jaycar for years and then seeing a few fail.

[edit] Too slow!

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
sorry i dont understand what your getting at, are you trying to say i should get 2 x 2ohm subs running on a 1ohm stable amp?
If i can get the exact same power from 2 x 4ohm runing at 2ohm stable would that not be the better option? It would run with
less distortion and less heat on the amp yeah?

Well you can't get the same power at a difference impedance load, it's always going to change. My point is that it's probably going to cost you more to get 800rms at 2 ohm, than what it would be to get 1000rms at 1 ohm. Using 2 x svc 2 ohm subs will a 1 ohm stable amp will give you some headroom.

I'd rather drive a sub with some headroom at a lower impedance that worry about things like thd and dampening, maybe if you were talking expensive sq subs, but that's not the case. I assume all your really after is as much bass as possible for your dollar, in which case i still reccomend the cheaper jaycar amp.

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
Good info coming in guys, I'm still gonna go with the 4ohm as I will only get 1 to begin with, I will get a 2ohm stable amp but while I have the single sub it will run at 4ohm then when i get the second sub i can run them both at 2om.

Cheers once again for your help.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Good info coming in guys, I'm still gonna go with the 4ohm as I will only get 1 to begin with, I will get a 2ohm stable amp but while I have the single sub it will run at 4ohm then when i get the second sub i can run them both at 2om.

Cheers once again for your help.

You can do what you said with either type of sub...

For example.
Single 4 ohm and amp made for 2 ohm load will do say 400Wrms at 4 ohm.
Then when you get your second sub the amp will do 800Wrms at 2 ohm.

OR

Single 2 ohm and amp made for 1 ohm load will do say 400Wrms at 2 ohm.
Then when you get your second sub the amp will do 800Wrms at 1 ohm.

It works the same way.

How much do you plan to spend on the amp? Are you happy with buying something cheap that will do the job? Or would you like something with a well regarded brand name?

I recently bought two 4 ohm SVC 400Wrms subs as they only came in that option so I ended up buying a Alpine 1000Wrms at 2 ohm monoblock, which does 600Wrms at 4 ohm.

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
You can do what you said with either type of sub...

For example.
Single 4 ohm and amp made for 2 ohm load will do say 400Wrms at 4 ohm.
Then when you get your second sub the amp will do 800Wrms at 2 ohm.

OR

Single 2 ohm and amp made for 1 ohm load will do say 400Wrms at 2 ohm.
Then when you get your second sub the amp will do 800Wrms at 1 ohm.

It works the same way.

How much do you plan to spend on the amp? Are you happy with buying something cheap that will do the job? Or would you like something with a well regarded brand name?

I recently bought two 4 ohm SVC 400Wrms subs as they only came in that option so I ended up buying a Alpine 1000Wrms at 2 ohm monoblock, which does 600Wrms at 4 ohm.

I don't mind spending the money on a decent amp, those two examples you gave helped clear things up which one out of those examples will sound the best? will be the loudest? will be the safest? and would be most cost effective? and that's what I will go with