Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kicker Solo Baric 18" & Kicker Equalizer

S

sbkvp

Hey guys,

I bought my VP about two weeks ago and I'm about to start ripping into the audio ;)

Got two questions for you all. I'm getting a Solo Baric 18" sub (the big ass square ones) which are rated at 5,000 WRMS Normal... now my question is what the hell will i run that with, does anyone here have one or know anyone with one? I've found a Rockford Fosgate amp thats 3000w into one channel which is about US$1500... seems to be the best I can find but do you guys know any better?

Secondly, I want to get an equalizer... are there any about that will fit in the recess under the head unit/above the shifter?

Cheers guys,

SBK

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
I believe there are some amps available that can be chained together. So you could take 3x1500W amps and make 4500W.

The space under the HU should be good for an EQ, the easiest way would probably be to use a sleeve like you get for new HUs. And putting it in should only take a quarter of the time compared to putting in a new HU.

What city are you in? I would love to see a solo baric doofing!

S

sbkvp

DJ Majah said:
I believe there are some amps available that can be chained together. So you could take 3x1500W amps and make 4500W.

The space under the HU should be good for an EQ, the easiest way would probably be to use a sleeve like you get for new HUs. And putting it in should only take a quarter of the time compared to putting in a new HU.

What city are you in? I would love to see a solo baric doofing!

Hey bro,

I'm in Hobart... not really a city, more of a town.
I've got a pretty sweet setup in the works, its just a matter of saving some $$$ to put it all together. I'm not aiming for the loudest setup ever, just something louder than the average stereo.

My mate who is designing the enclosure reckons that I should be able to push mid-150dBs just from the sub, before taking anything else into account. Basically what I reckon I'm going to do, if you're interested, is have the Solo X set up just for comps (i.e. it's switchable) and have a couple of Pioneer gold bullet subs wired permanently for cruising (that and also so that my car doesn't vibrate to pieces).

Will put some pics up in the next six or so months to show the setup.

While I'm posting, anyone ever hear of a maker of Amplifiers called Earthquake? Are they any good?

Cheers - SBK

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Yeah, don't touch earthquake, l could be wrong but l swear they are a cheap brand strathfield deals with.

As for an 18"... why? Who could possibly drive around with a 18"? My mate has three 15" JBL's in his wagon and he REALLY regrets installing that many.
Also, dealing with something that will have deep bass, your car is going to rattle to pieces, literally. My VS boot rattles to 2 10"s.

But with the negatives aside, it would be cool to see an 18" sub, one really impressive piece of hardware :D!!!!

S

sbkvp

Hey mate,
I'm going for the SoloX basically for originality, plus I think it looks wicked.

As for earthquake, according to forums it is apparantly a good brand, well this particular model supposedly... but I'm definatley going to check it out cause literally I don't want crap..

What 10s are you running?

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Two sony 10"s. I had a sony head unit and just thought l may aswell fit out the entire car with sony. Looks good but as for sound vs price, it doesn't compare to my mates pioneer setup.

I'm interested in how your going to mount it in a VP?

They're a nice sub, interesting shape.

solox.jpg

N

nofords

That thing is a beast. I love the look of huge magnets hanging of the bottom..

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
pioneer have been realy cutting down on the quality of there gear recently (source = michael, manager of tonkins car audio) so the will be still in the market and with all these new places opening up with different cheapier brands competition is getting tough.

if you want a good stero you need good gear. thats what i have found anyway.

cheers

scott

vrclubbie

Reaction score
thats gonna be very loud u realise!! would love to seee when its done though, i have 2X12" kicker comps, i wanna go for a 15" solobaric though, let me know how it sounds

veeque92

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman SeriesII 5.7
Pioneer has gone to s*#t in the last five years in my opinion, The bullets are one one of the crappiest subs you can get these days and there top of the range head units you need a degree to set up.
Watch out for the solobaric subs too as they have a tendancy to delaminate on the corners, Think about it, If a sub was meant to be square they all would be.
Sony speakers I agree they have some crap ones but there top of the range head units kick ass. my $600 sony head unit kicked ass over my $3500 kenwood unit i have now and the Competition series sony 12inch sub blows away most cars I know with two 12s in them.
Just be carefull with what you buy, just coz they look good doesn't mean that they are.