Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] Kilowatts

Imposter34

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs holden commodore
Just wonderin if anybody would know roughly how many kilowatts i should have in my vs 5litre if my engine has just been rebuilt and has had a stage 3 cam put in or would i have to run it on the dyno

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Stage 3? doesn't really mean a lot unless you mention the manufacturer or know the cam specs.

Ideally you would have the engine tuned which should also let you know what sort killerwasps it's making.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Well the VS club sport had 185kw from memory so your probably getting close to that.

Imposter34

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs holden commodore
Its a stage 3 crow cam plus it has a stage 4 performance chip and extractors does that give me any more kilowatts

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
I had a camed 5 litre which made 146kw at the wheels. As others have said depends on cam. Go get a power run done to find out. Only costs $70 or so from memory

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Its a stage 3 crow cam plus it has a stage 4 performance chip

What is a "stage"? Every cam manufacturers "stage" is different. Can't tell you anything without specs. Crow's "stage 3" is going to be different to Camtech's "stage 3" which will be different to Lunati's "stage 3". Just link the cam you bought.

Tuners don't tune in "stages", otherwise it would be some tickbox exercise and everybody would tune cars themselves. Without anything to go on like a dyno sheet or any other info, we can't tell you anything. If it's an ebay chip it's likely garbage. Also worth mentioning that typically a cam change (usually especially something that markets itself as "stage 3") really needs to be dyno tuned.

"Stage" is a marketing term. Can't tell you anything unless you give actual part details like the actual specs or part number of the cam etc...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i think the stage 3 crow cam for the 304 is the 4503 cam (227°/220° @ .050" 113lsa).

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Kilowatts/horsepower are just numbers and something to brag about. If you like how your car goes, that’s great......If you don’t, mod it more until you do.