Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

King springs for the ve's

IMCRZY

YO!
Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VL Excutive Turbo, 00 VT Olympic Edition
SSSL's it is for me then lol, that ute is the prime hight

footy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE 2010
i got ultra lows on my ssv front and rear with monroe gt shocks and found that whenever theres a bit of weight in the back the tyre scrapes on this poxy bit of plastic where the rear bar joins to the car. Only happens when i go over bumps n **** at reasonable speed but it sounds pretty bad. Its pretty much worn through the joint by now so im probably gonna sand the rest of it back and pray the bumper doesnt fall off hahah.

Mike08

No Back seat drivers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Pedders sports ryders fitted, part number 2955 and 2956. Results in a 45mm drop at rear and roughly 15 to 20 at front. Set of twenties and we are good to go.

Looks a lot better than the shots show as well.

Cheers.

Attachments

• ve lowered 2.jpg
    ve lowered 2.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 5,809
  • ve lowered 3.jpg
    ve lowered 3.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,799
  • ute lowered 1.jpg
    ute lowered 1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 2,388

Fazz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hey, I'm hoping someone can help me out with some advice. I have fitted King SSL on front and rear to SV6 sedan. I have kept the standard shocks at the moment. The springs were fitted nearly 10 months ago so the back has settled a lot. The clearance is 370mm in the front and 355mm in the rear (from centre cap to bottom of guard). In addition to this I am running 20" GMAX rims and 275 tyres on the back. I have also rolled the guards.

I am reasonably happy with the ride however under load it is a different story. In normal driving it is good however the tyres scrub when you load up the boot and have someone in the back seat. It is alot worse when you are towing. I thought maybe I should have had SL on the back however the clearance on the Voodoo wagon on an erlier post was the same with SL on the rear. I have also had excessive wear on the rear tyres. I went through a set of Kumho ECSTA in about 7 months / 9000km. Would the Short Shocks assist or am I expecting too much from the King springs? I was happy with the price of the Kings, however I'm thinking it was probably a bad idea now. I'm thinking about pulling the Kings out and going back to standard but if anyone can help with an alternative it would be appreciated. I have added a photo below......

Attachments

• IMG_06152.jpg
    IMG_06152.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 6,363

loku16

Reaction score
Website
www.addicted2fish.com.au
Members Ride
2010 VE SS-V Wagon
Fazz,
Awesome rims man!

Just wanted to say that I'm getting rid of the king springs on mine and putting the Pedders coil-overs. As it is now, the back seems lower than the front and I don't think any attention was paid or gone through a thought process when they lowered it to say that a wagon was actually heavier than a sedan and to recommend a better option for me. I'm getting the coil overs at Protek tyres. John is a great bloke and shaved my guards too. A member here put me onto Protek.

Cheers

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
The scrubbing is likely to be due to the offset of the wheels rather than the springs. SSL shouldn't scrub unless the offset is too high. As for wiping out the kumhos so fast, I'm guessing it's the inside halves that are cactus? If so, either the shop that fit your wheels or springs has set the alignment to incorporate excessive negative camber to minimise scrubbing.

If the guard rolling didn't allow for a proper wheel alignment then you'll basically either deal with the scrubbing and tyre wear or change the wheels. Switching the rear springs and adding higher damped shocks will lessen the likelihood of scrubbing as it will take more force to get the guards down to the wheels but the geometry will be the same so it will still scrub under enough force.

Fazz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Thanks Loku16 and TinSnips for the quick reply. I thought I would probably have to suck it up because of the rims on the back. Maybe I will have a chat to Protek, even if I can reduce the scrubbing a bit, it would be worth it.

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
ian diffen the tyre factory,thelowest price i could find.

heloanand

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Omega
Is it good if I just compress the stock springs? I called up some tyre shops and one of them told me that I dont need to change the springs, just compress the stock ones and its do the same job
My ride is a ve with 18" wheels and genuine clubsport bodykit on it.
thanks