Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

King springs for the ve's

VKDirector

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2009 VESSV
why are Lovells so much better than Kings? Words like "shocking" (I expect no pun intended) and feel "cheap" ? how does a coil spring "feel cheap".
Kings are "softer" but the Lovells 50x "less harsh"
I have a 2008 ve commodore which has been lowered before I purchased it. Great car but just too low. It scrapes on my driveway and I have to be super careful going over gutters. Its been lowered with ssl king springs up front and sssl at the rear. I want to raise it a bit lower than standard. Just want to know what springs to replace the lowered ones with.
check the product number/code on the spring and go up a size or two. thx or letting me know they are pretty low

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

TongPo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi guys. Also looking at getting springs/shocks, i want to fill the gap. Got a 3" exhaust 10" rear wheels and 9.5 front. Got more gap at the front

Attachments

• IMG_20200802_222229.jpg
    IMG_20200802_222229.jpg
    596.1 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20200802_222106_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
    IMG_20200802_222106_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 183

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Hi guys. Also looking at getting springs/shocks, i want to fill the gap. Got a 3" exhaust 10" rear wheels and 9.5 front. Got more gap at the front

Be better off with coilovers and a guard roll with fitment that aggressive. Dunno if you'd be satisfied with the gap fill from just springs alone.

As for the rest of the thread, will also second for King Springs generally giving bad ride in cars I've used them in. One thing is for sure though, with the amount of support for VEs from companies that actually build quality products I'd definitely go for coilovers instead (budget willing of course) or some kind of FE3 spring. Having said that I've generally had better results using them with something like a KYB shock instead of Monroe.

Unfortunately it's generally a one size fits all approach for King Springs (other spring manufacturers too), there's no information on spring rates so in trying to please everybody they generally use a pretty stiff one across the range.

Last edited:

TongPo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I am not going for something insane i just want it to sit even and not too low.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I am not going for something insane i just want it to sit even and not too low.

Would still go for coilovers if budget allows. They can be as low or as high as you want.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Ill have to look into it what brand would you recommend?

MCA or Shockworks. Both of them come from Australia and have really good support.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
why are Lovells so much better than Kings? Words like "shocking" (I expect no pun intended) and feel "cheap" ? how does a coil spring "feel cheap".
Kings are "softer" but the Lovells 50x "less harsh"

I can't explain the reasons why Kings are so bad I have never looked into the science of it. All I know is I have had Kings and they were terribly harsh compared to stock in the same vehicle. Kings just seem to be like a flood on the market and unless you buy coils from a place that fits them they may not realise that what they are selling you is junk. I replaced my stock coils with Lovells and I can cruise across the corrugations far more smoothly than the old so called "progressive" factory springs. You would also think that over the 20 years the factory units would have even softened somewhat. A couple of knowledgeable members on here said I wouldn't notice much improvement over factory but difference is like chalk and cheese, even with Monroes...... After fitting KYB's on the rear, ride was improved even further. I still have Monroe's on the front which will be swapped out for KYB's once the current ones wear out. My old jalopy is not worth coil overs but I could imagine they would be magic.

TongPo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
MCA or Shockworks. Both of them come from Australia and have really good support.

I am thinking of springs coils too pricey for me, still not sure on what though as the rear cant be too low because of the exhaust that sits down already. Would ssl sl combo work?