Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

King Springs, is there anything missing here?

lazyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 M6
No dust covers and a vote for sl rear ssl front with 20's
But it will catch normal speed bumps
Prob rubbish top mounts for that money

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you haven't paid for them, then forget Kings. Have a look at Lovells with some KYB shortend struts. Kings are rubbish, even more so on 20s, I assume you are going 30AR? If yes you're going to be shaken to bits.

H

harrop.senator

You might just be getting old losh and being a bitch haha.

So many people run them and don't complain as hard as you do. Maybe it's because they've not ran progressive before to know the difference hahah.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've tried many different springs over the years, Kings were the worst, and Lovells were the best.

H

harrop.senator

Lovells were personally to soft for me. Horses for courses.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I like comfort and the progressive Lovells were a beautiful thing. I have never tried them but have heard on sedans FE3 is a good option.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Lovells were personally to soft for me. Horses for courses.
Don't want to start an argument but I recall you saying you really liked the Lovells over Kings.

H

harrop.senator

Yeah because they're stiffer then stock king's once you throw the car in hard enough haha. All the king's I run are custom ordered for the spring rate lol.

Stock king springs listing lowered commodore front springs are 300 lbs/inch.

Rears are like 350 lbs/inch

My statesman the fronts are 380 and my rears are 600-1100 lbs/inch.

My Fronts are 560 lbs/inch and rears are 450 lbs/inch in my 1200 kg hatch.

Even my little 180b Datsun has 350 lbs/inch front and 1100lbs/inch rears.

You and a lot of others complain they're to stiff and harsh I complain they're to soft. I like the Lovells because even though they feel like most commodore , as in your floating. Once you start loading the chassis up they do get stiff enough to remove the majority of body roll.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
And that's what I found. You have to get used to the Lovells because they have a different feel to stockers and feel a bit rolly at first, but when you know and become accustomed they handle really well. Over the terrible Tasmanian roads Lovells are a beautiful thing. WA has highways our highways are country roads and plenty of our roads that I used to daily were gravel, with corros.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I have had new set of KYB gas-a-just shockers fail in my FG in under a week, it’s lowered with HR Springs but not at all silly low (pic below for reference) at all and I went with them after speaking to KYB directly and then confirming suitability for 25mm lowered springs and the fronts blew almost immediately.
The rears are still in there and perfect and that has had a 30mm drop.
Just settled on the Shortened Monroe GT’s in the front end now and they have been perfect for me on daily duties, also have the rear Monroe’s in the shed on standby, not sold on the KYB’s now.

0C11FAB8-10F5-4D30-BAE7-F0DACF1111F8.jpeg