Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

King Springs, is there anything missing here?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Looks perfect to me but each to their own.
I agree, mine is probably not as low as the one pictured and even that is a tad low. I have to drive diagonally coming out of and into driveways. Speed humps are snail pace. I don't know if I have the minimum 100mm clearance. When I head up to my shed with the pit I will measure it..

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
I agree, mine is probably not as low as the one pictured and even that is a tad low. I have to drive diagonally coming out of and into driveways. Speed humps are snail pace. I don't know if I have the minimum 100mm clearance. When I head up to my shed with the pit I will measure it..
Mine is FE3 which I changed out from the Kings SLs that were in it as bottoming out was giving me the shites. Would like to put coilovers in the back at some point to raise the arse end as it drags like a dog on grass with a full tank of petrol and 80 litres of LPG in the back!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
OK I'm hearing 'steer clear' here lol. OK maybe coilovers hey?... cars far too high even with 20's...

View attachment 228182

I reckon I can drop 2" without future probs?

Don't matter if you are "riding on 20's" or riding on 16's" Only a spring change is going to alter the height if you have factory height tyres fitted....

So yeah dropping it 2" inches even with 16's fitted is going to reduce the guard to tyre clearance so it'll still look the same as it would with the 20's fitted

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mine is FE3 which I changed out from the Kings SLs that were in it as bottoming out was giving me the shites. Would like to put coilovers in the back at some point to raise the arse end as it drags like a dog on grass with a full tank of petrol and 80 litres of LPG in the back!
I have Walkinshaw, I have no idea if it's coil overs or standard too damn low to get a good look at it, I don't even know if Walkinshaw do one or both types., regardless Again the pit will provide the answers. Although I'd say it's standard type, as it doesn't feel like it's on rails, which I would expect from coil overs.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Don't matter if you are "riding on 20's" or riding on 16's" Only a spring change is going to alter the height if you have factory height tyres fitted....

So yeah dropping it 2" inches even with 16's fitted is going to reduce the guard to tyre clearance so it'll still look the same as it would with the 20's fitted
My thoughts were 20s and Kings lows would be a shocking ride comfort wise. I have 18s and would like to stick with them but SSV rims that I want are 19s. I'd hate to think how harsh 20s would be with HD ultra low springs, especially Kings.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mine was a bitch on SLs with the factory SSV 19s. Suspension hit the bump stops on nearly every major bump (we have a lot of them here in QLD) and I had to replace the strut tops as one of them had completely separated from the rubber that its supposed to be bonded to.

For reference my SV6 is still on its factory strut tops over 320,000kms later and has been on plenty of shite roads and a lot of dirt roads with washouts!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
My thoughts were 20s and Kings lows would be a shocking ride comfort wise. I have 18s and would like to stick with them but SSV rims that I want are 19s. I'd hate to think how harsh 20s would be with HD ultra low springs, especially Kings.

20" rims with any springs would be a crappy ride.....

Alot of people don't understand the side wall of a tyre actually absorbs bumps as well...So the lack of side means that bump absorbsion isn't as effective, which equals a harsher ride....

So yes, ultra low springs combined with no sidewall equals harsh ride...

Younger people don't mind the harsher ride, however the older generation seem to like a softer ride....And me eprsonally fall into the older generation that prefer a softer ride... :)

P

Pauldw500

20" rims with any springs would be a crappy ride.....
I disagree. I'm running 20s with stock springs and the ride is comfortable, I just want the wheels a bit more into the arches but if I'll sacrifice usability then maybe just get some 22s... :D

Nah coilovers is surely the way to go...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
View attachment 228283

Put them there wheels further into them there arches...

About an inch or so should do it... :D
Any thoughts as to what you expect from ride quality and what you‘re willing to sacrifice in your chase for asthetics? Do you carry rear passengers often, carry stuff in the boot, care about your rear passengers kidneys, how often do you tow, are you concerned about your ride being legal?

Over 30 years ago I added Bilsteins coil overs on my 4 cylinder buzz box and it drove like it was on rails and lacked the needed compliance for our rough roads. However, it was fun to drive hard but it was an everyday car and became tiring after a short time. I re-valved the shocks and changed to lower spring rates and it was better but still not as compliant or as quick on crappy roads as the original suspension. I then updated to airbag suspension with rates a little firmer than the original suspension and it was closer to the Goldilocks zone I was after… And that was with supposed expert who wher happy to oblige as I help pay for their holiday that year…

The moral is that you need to be really clear with what you want and what you are willing to put up with or not accept. If this is the first time you’ve gone lower, then I’d suggest driving some lowered cars may help you work out a few likes and dislikes.

So if you want decent ride quality on your road car, again, I’d suggest going to a quality suspension place and talking to them, maybe they have some cars they can take for for a spin in…

If you really want to chase aesthetics, you may be better off going to a nightclub :p

PS: My motorsport looks to be a little higher than your SS but that could be the sloped driveway you are on… Have you lowered the car already?