Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

King Springs, is there anything missing here?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I disagree. I'm running 20s with stock springs and the ride is comfortable, I just want the wheels a bit more into the arches but if I'll sacrifice usability then maybe just get some 22s... :D

Nah coilovers is surely the way to go...
You have "coil overs", they come stock

The easiest and most common way of wrecking the handling/compliance of a car is people choosing the incorrect spring and damper combination

Have a read > https://mcasuspension.com/technical

Don't buy cheap junk

As for how they look, well you cannot see the parts that are inside

The internal parts, i.e. valving and "stuff" that makes or breaks the suspension, not shiny paint

Bud977

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VF Track Edition, VE2 SSV Redline ute
Yeah because they're stiffer then stock king's once you throw the car in hard enough haha. All the king's I run are custom ordered for the spring rate lol.

Stock king springs listing lowered commodore front springs are 300 lbs/inch.

Rears are like 350 lbs/inch

My statesman the fronts are 380 and my rears are 600-1100 lbs/inch.

My Fronts are 560 lbs/inch and rears are 450 lbs/inch in my 1200 kg hatch.

Even my little 180b Datsun has 350 lbs/inch front and 1100lbs/inch rears.

You and a lot of others complain they're to stiff and harsh I complain they're to soft. I like the Lovells because even though they feel like most commodore , as in your floating. Once you start loading the chassis up they do get stiff enough to remove the majority of body roll.

Glad to see someone put some numbers up. It's the best way to compare springs.

Standard VE2 FE2/3 springs are around 150 lb/in in the front, and 300 lb/in in the rear. So your springs are stiff. But you know that and like it that way, so that's great.

Here is a chart from jhp indicating the change in ride height with the various Kings Springs. So the SSLs should drop the height by 20mm, assuming the KHFL-150 is a standard height spring.

Don't know how right it is though, as my VE2 SSV ute sits at 360f/365r with pretty standard (soft) Pedders springs, which equates to their SSSL. My ute isn't too low as it doesn't scrape anywhere unexpected. I'm just putting standard FE2/3 springs back in and will re-check the ride height then.

1634420438564.png

hsvluva

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF V8 Calais
I am about to put SSL Front and SSSL Rear on my VE2 V8 Calias, bit I will be using GT short shocks, so everything I have read said it should look and function pretty well. Some of you are worrying me tho lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I am about to put SSL Front and SSSL Rear on my VE2 V8 Calias, bit I will be using GT short shocks, so everything I have read said it should look and function pretty well. Some of you are worrying me tho lol
I'm sure it will be fine, just harsh.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
And scrappy
Not sure how this will go down... but anyway...

I know what you mean but I don't think that's the correct spelling and meaning of what i think may be a compound or predicate adjective :rolleyes: And some verbs may be used as adjectives within certain contexts, jusy not sure what they are :rolleyes:.

It's not a critisism of you as my understanding of english syntax is shite. I'm still trying to learn at my age :p Really I'm just not sure myself, I just know it's not scrappy... may be it's scrapy?

So does anyone know the correct word, classification and spelling? :rolleyes:
After all, we should be able to accurately describe poor suspension on JC's :p:p:p

scrappy
/ˈskrapi/

adjective
adjective: scrappy; comparative adjective: scrappier; superlative adjective: scrappiest
  1. consisting of disorganized, untidy, or incomplete parts.
    "scrappy lecture notes piled up unread"

2. informal•North American
    determined, argumentative, or pugnacious.

scrape
/skreɪp/

verb
verb: scrape; 3rd person present: scrapes; past tense: scraped; past participle: scraped; gerund or present participle: scraping

1. drag or pull a hard or sharp implement across (a surface or object) so as to remove dirt or other matter.
    "remove the green tops from the carrots and scrape them"

apply (a hard or sharp implement) to a surface so as to remove dirt or other matter.
    "he scraped the long-bladed razor across the stubble on his cheek"

2. rub or cause to rub by accident against a rough or hard surface, causing damage or injury.
    "he smashed into the wall and felt his teeth scrape against the plaster"

move with or make a harsh scraping sound.
    "she lifted the gate to prevent it scraping along the ground"

3. narrowly pass by or through something.
    "there was only just room to scrape through between the tree and the edge of the stream"

just manage to achieve; accomplish with great effort or difficulty.
    "Scotland scraped a lucky home draw with Portugal"

4. copy (data) from a website using a computer program.
    "all search engines scrape content from sites without permission and display it on their own sites"

noun
noun: scrape; plural noun: scrapes

1. an act or sound of scraping.
    "he heard the scrape of his mother's key in the lock"

an injury or mark caused by scraping.
    "there was a long, shallow scrape on his shin"

British
    a thinly applied layer of butter or margarine on bread.
    "when making sandwiches, use only the thinnest scrape of fat"

archaic
    an obsequious bow in which one foot is drawn backwards along the ground.

2. informal•Medicine
    a procedure of dilatation of the cervix and curettage of the uterus.

Bud977

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VF Track Edition, VE2 SSV Redline ute
I've learnt some interesting stuff about VE suspension since I bought my ute. It was fitted with Pedders sportsryder springs and felt really bad. It was crashing going over speed humps. I fitted some FE3 springs, and the ride was restored.

The thing is, the Pedders 2954 springs lowered the front by 35mm by using a softer standard height spring. It was a 100 lb/in spring, compared to 150 lb/in. So a softer spring combined with less remaining travel meant it would bottom out sooner. The only good thing about these springs was that they made the car look good with a lower ride height. Forget about actual drivability.

Like many, I assumed a spring for a lower ride height was stiffer as well. Not in this case. It would be good if the spring manufacturers provided proper specifications like spring free length and spring rate. SSL could mean short and stiff or long and soft. Who knows what you are getting. Hopefully you are getting suspension fitted by a shop that actually knows this stuff, not just a parts fitter.

At least now I've got a better known starting point before adjusting the suspension in future. First to change the rear Pedders back to FE3s and fix the rear......

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Not sure how this will go down... but anyway...

I know what you mean but I don't think that's the correct spelling and meaning of what i think may be a compound or predicate adjective :rolleyes: And some verbs may be used as adjectives within certain contexts, jusy not sure what they are :rolleyes:.

It's not a critisism of you as my understanding of english syntax is shite. I'm still trying to learn at my age :p Really I'm just not sure myself, I just know it's not scrappy... may be it's scrapy?

So does anyone know the correct word, classification and spelling? :rolleyes:
After all, we should be able to accurately describe poor suspension on JC's :p:p:p

scrappy
/ˈskrapi/

adjective
adjective: scrappy; comparative adjective: scrappier; superlative adjective: scrappiest
  1. consisting of disorganized, untidy, or incomplete parts.
    "scrappy lecture notes piled up unread"

2. informal•North American
    determined, argumentative, or pugnacious.

scrape
/skreɪp/

verb
verb: scrape; 3rd person present: scrapes; past tense: scraped; past participle: scraped; gerund or present participle: scraping

1. drag or pull a hard or sharp implement across (a surface or object) so as to remove dirt or other matter.
    "remove the green tops from the carrots and scrape them"

apply (a hard or sharp implement) to a surface so as to remove dirt or other matter.
    "he scraped the long-bladed razor across the stubble on his cheek"

2. rub or cause to rub by accident against a rough or hard surface, causing damage or injury.
    "he smashed into the wall and felt his teeth scrape against the plaster"

move with or make a harsh scraping sound.
    "she lifted the gate to prevent it scraping along the ground"

3. narrowly pass by or through something.
    "there was only just room to scrape through between the tree and the edge of the stream"

just manage to achieve; accomplish with great effort or difficulty.
    "Scotland scraped a lucky home draw with Portugal"

4. copy (data) from a website using a computer program.
    "all search engines scrape content from sites without permission and display it on their own sites"

noun
noun: scrape; plural noun: scrapes

1. an act or sound of scraping.
    "he heard the scrape of his mother's key in the lock"

an injury or mark caused by scraping.
    "there was a long, shallow scrape on his shin"

British
    a thinly applied layer of butter or margarine on bread.
    "when making sandwiches, use only the thinnest scrape of fat"

archaic
    an obsequious bow in which one foot is drawn backwards along the ground.

2. informal•Medicine
    a procedure of dilatation of the cervix and curettage of the uterus.
Scrappy: to scrape on lots of stuff during daily driving, occasionally causing sparks, opinionated judgement on suspension modification decisions

download.jpeg.jpg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Scrapy: to scrape on lots of stuff during daily driving, occasionally causing sparks, opinionated judgement on suspension modification decisions
FTFY :p:p:p

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I've learnt some interesting stuff about VE suspension since I bought my ute. It was fitted with Pedders sportsryder springs and felt really bad. It was crashing going over speed humps. I fitted some FE3 springs, and the ride was restored.

The thing is, the Pedders 2954 springs lowered the front by 35mm by using a softer standard height spring. It was a 100 lb/in spring, compared to 150 lb/in. So a softer spring combined with less remaining travel meant it would bottom out sooner. The only good thing about these springs was that they made the car look good with a lower ride height. Forget about actual drivability.

Like many, I assumed a spring for a lower ride height was stiffer as well. Not in this case. It would be good if the spring manufacturers provided proper specifications like spring free length and spring rate. SSL could mean short and stiff or long and soft. Who knows what you are getting. Hopefully you are getting suspension fitted by a shop that actually knows this stuff, not just a parts fitter.

At least now I've got a better known starting point before adjusting the suspension in future. First to change the rear Pedders back to FE3s and fix the rear......
Pedder's springs front and rear with Koni yellow dampers, doesn't bottom out, doesn't scape on speed bumps, but front and rear scrape on steep driveways...

2016-04-16 17.23.06 (Medium).jpg