Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

King Springs super lows

Discussion in 'VN - VP Holden Commodore (1988 - 1993)' started by Shortstuff, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Random

Members Ride:
    2016 Golf GTI PP
    I noticed a set of Superlows that looked nearly new in the wreckers today. And they're already off the car. Only thing is, they're off a VS Statesman. I noticed the front struts attatch to the body with a different number of bolts to a VN, but does anyone know if the springs themselves will fit on my S1 VN?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  2. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
    Front springs from VS arent compatible with VN.

Rear from VS will fit a VN though but as its off a Stato im guessing its the IRS springs which means the rear springs wont fit either.

So no they wont fit, front or rear. Bad luck man

3. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Random

Members Ride:
    2016 Golf GTI PP
    Oh well. Thought it was worth checking!! Guess i'll have to fork out for a new set!

4. Keesh

Keesh GM Parts tech. support

Members Ride:
    HSV WL GRANGE LS2 , VQ 5L Caprice
    cut them, dont listen to uninformed people who think they no everything just because they want to look tuff on a computer.. ive cut mine on both my cars, never had any dramas if u get the shortened shocks on ur car(as u have to do with kings ne way) they wont fall out and handle exactly the same.. i can find more people who NO WAT THERE TALKING ABOUT to back spring cutting over most of the people on this forum who have never done it and cant tell u first hand wat its like.. before anyone says anything to condem me ov my own choices, i just want to remind u that most things u do aftermarket to ur vn is illeagle, including most of the exsausts and spools people have in this forum, so think b4 u pik a fight about nothing

5. 253@7k

253@7k 300rwhp supra. yay.

Members Ride:
    TT Supra/HZ Ute.
    Yeah ok, do that then watch as your commy handles like an elephant in a bouncy castle. Nice work.

6. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    Mate, did you even make it past primary school?

Exsausts?
    Illeagle?
    Condem?
    No?
    There?

Also, talk about looking 'tuff' on a computer, oh ma gawd uleh 'ov' is like fully sick mate, its full on hectic mate, fully luv it mate

Its exactly people like Keesh that cut their springs. If you wanna be like this idiot, then go ahead and cut your springs. Be a cheap loser with no insurance and a danger to yourself and those around you and treat your car like a peice of ****.

But if you dont wanna be an ignorant loser, then spend the little money it costs for performance springs and improve your cars ride and handling :)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  7. Keesh

Keesh GM Parts tech. support

Members Ride:
    HSV WL GRANGE LS2 , VQ 5L Caprice
    not even going to say anything to that, cause its a forum to discuss cars not personalities, and u claerly cant judge mine cause u dont no me

8. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Random

Members Ride:
    2016 Golf GTI PP
    I bought a car with cut springs once! Changed the suspension back to standard after about a week of owning the car because it understeered like mad and scared the **** out of me. I wouldn't go down the spring cutting road after what I experienced with that car!

9. coolvxss

coolvxss New Member

Members Ride:
    5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
    My fronts are cut. Have no problems at all. Been cut for years now. But getting superlows when my tax comes back. The springs are trapped and everything so there is no way they can come out or anything. My mums got a vn with stock ride height suspension and mine handles 10 times better. So when i get my new superlows in the front it should be 20times better:) But thats just my experiance.

10. adam69

adam69 Banned

Members Ride:
    VT Clubby
    Keesh you are 18 need to live first before giving such stupid advice.Listen to others people advice.Im double your age and owned heaps of cars.Cut springs loose their strength and their tension and do not do what they are supposed to do.Ive had cut,standard and properly lowered springs and i know cut CAN be dangerous.Some laws regarding modification are stupid,we all know that,but we are talking about dangerous mods.
    All Shortstuff was asking was if the springs would fit into his VN and they wont.It had nothing to do what you are crapping on about.

11. s0sage

s0sage Posting aimlessly ..

Members Ride:
    MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
    ok keesh ... heres my UNINFORMED opinion as a fully qualified tyre fitter and wheel aligner who has hoisted more than his fair share of chopped springs on cars and had them fall out and land on his feet in some cases ..

every single spring ever made for a car has a SPECIFIC load rating and ride height for that particular spring. ever seen a kg/cm figure when you've done your masterful researching on google about springs? if you have X amount at kg/cm on a 9 coil spring .. and you cut 3 coils off ... you are placing exactly the same amount of load onto a spring that is now 'designed' for a load only 2/3 of its original rating. (your mind should cope with such a simple explanation)

HIGHLY DANGEROUS TO YOURSELF, OTHERS ON THE ROAD, AND YOUR VEHICLES CONDITION .. AND VOIDS ABSOLUTELY ANY INSURANCE POLICY YOU HAVE ON YOUR CAR.

you are a goddamned fool for even suggesting people do this in a public forum, and i pray that not one single person in here ever listens to your advice on suspension work.... go back to your homework and leave what you know nothing about to those "uninformed" people who actually have a damn clue.

this is just barely scratching the surface of the SAFETY and LEGALITY issues involved in coil cutting. dont even get me started on the handling and understeer effects it has...

p.s. your a d!ckhead

stocky and Troy711 like this.
  12. VS CALAIS

VS CALAIS M6 VF SSV

Members Ride:
    VF SSV 6spd Manual
    :thumbsup: thats all i say :thumbsup:

13. VS CALAIS

VS CALAIS M6 VF SSV

Members Ride:
    VF SSV 6spd Manual
    :yeah: :rofl: :rofl:

14. coolvxss

coolvxss New Member

Members Ride:
    Well my car handles a lot better then stock with cut front springs. I dont know about other peoples cut springs but mine makes it sit a lot nicer around corners. I have proper ultra lows in the rear so that makes a bit of differance. And if you only have 3 coils left it will still withstand the weight of your car. I only cut off 1 or 2 coils and the springs are still traped and it handles better.

15. 253@7k

253@7k 300rwhp supra. yay.

Members Ride:
    TT Supra/HZ Ute.
    Um, try no. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. It cannot possibly carry the weight that it was designed to when it is cut in half. Using your theory just disconnect 3 sparkplug leads from your V6, it will still perform exactly the same you will just use less fuel. Yay.

16. coolvxss

coolvxss New Member

Members Ride:
    whats it gonna do??? It doenst snap or sag or anything. it still holds the car fine. Every coil can hold the weight. My dads got a hg kingswood and its drop on its ass. His springs have been cut for most of the life of the car and its still got the original springs. the rears have lowering blocks and the fronts are cut.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  17. nemodore

nemodore Guest

i have to say s0sage has said exacly what i wanted too. i woked making and fittin springs for 2 years and from what i see he has hit the nail on the head. fu**ing thumbs up to s0sage.

18. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    Then its a matter of like father like son... Stupidity runs in the family. 30 years ago alot of people may have cut their springs... Everybody else moved on and matured, obviously your father did not and now he is setting a bad example for you...

Why do you even bother paying for insurance when you are voiding it anyway?

19. coolvxss

coolvxss New Member

Members Ride:
    Well can you explain why my springs can hold the weight fine and why my old mans springs are still fine after about 30years. My springs are still traped fine. they have not sagged one bit in four years. And many people still cut there springs. I know people with cut springs and they have never had any probs either.

20. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    I'd hate to drive your old mans car. As if the springs havent been changed in 30 years? They'd be well and truly up **** creek by now especially when they have been cut....

You think they are holding the weight fine, but I assure you they would be under alot of stress, and have weak points in the spring. One day it WILL catch up with you...

p.s. your springs probly aint sagged cause there aint enuff of em to sag :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.