Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kmart shuts shop

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
ONE of the most successful teams in recent years in V8 Supercar racing – Kmart Racing – is without a main sponsor after Kmart pulled out yesterday.

The terminating of its sponsorship will be a shock to V8 Supercar fans who are now well used to seeing the brand on some of the best cars in the field.

The team with drivers Rick Kelly and Greg Murphy has won the past two Bathurst 1000 races. Also, the Murphy-Steven Richards Commodore which won the race in 1999 carried Kmart sponsorship.

The Kmart Racing team is owned by Rick Kelly's father John Kelly, a Mildura business man and property developer. He could not be contacted yesterday, his office saying he was out of phone range.

However, Holden Motorsport spokesman Tim Pemberton said yesterday the team would continue.

"It will run two cars again in 2005," he said. "It is looking for other sponsorship."

Murphy announced a few months ago he was leaving the team to take Jason Bright's seat at Paul Weel Racing for 2005. Pemberton said Murphy's leaving was completely coincidental to Kmart ending its sponsorship.

Rick Kelly will have Garth Tander as a team-mate in the coming year in a team that could well be tagged Kelly Racing unless a major sponsor is found soon.

Kmart managing director Hani Zayadi said "The decision was reached amicably and follows our annual business review of all sponsorships associated with our brand.

"It ends a very successful five-year arrangement and all of us at Kmart wish John and his team every future success," Mr Zayadi said.

The team's winning track record will make it attractive for interested sponsors who would get excellent media coverage but big dollar figures are involved.

The 2005 V8 Supercar Championship begins at the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide, March 17-20.

Source - The Advertiser Web Site

Bec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6L Wagon
Might be the team that supercheap will sponsor???

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
BekVP said:
Might be the team that supercheap will sponsor???
Supercheap are rumoured to be in talks with Holden Motorsport regarding sponsorship for a 2 car team.

veeque92

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman SeriesII 5.7
Hope not, Don't wanna see Supercrap written on the side of a Commodore.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
What is Kmart doing...it the best sponsorship coverage that it could get ....its gold supercars have never been so popular...gotta be some other reason that than the time was up for the contract.
Hope they change their mind....if they don't maybe time for another big similar type company to step in and take advantage of Hani's glaring fuckup.....but please not Bob Thorn.

MYSS94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR | VU2 SS Ute
Gobbles said:
Supercheap are rumoured to be in talks with Holden Motorsport regarding sponsorship for a 2 car team.

Yeah i heard that as well - i thought it was going to be PWR, but now who knows!

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
All i can say is i feel sorry for Garth Tander if they get supercheap sponsorship :(

Torana

Young Einstein
Reaction score
Website
holdenworld.tt.cx
Members Ride
KE Laser Ghia 1.6 Carbie M5
"YA GET THE LOT FOR LESS!!!" If I hear that slogan one more f***ing time...

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
does this mean you will be able to buy cheap holden clothes from Kmart now?? big clearance sale......... lol

D.

Yes I realise Im just being a big girl, all about the shopping!!

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
dannc said:
does this mean you will be able to buy cheap holden clothes from Kmart now?? big clearance sale......... lol

D.

Yes I realise Im just being a big girl, all about the shopping!!

I am with you - lets go shopping if this is the case :)