Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Km's Limit on a VE

asvpxhughuet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hi everyone,

My first post here, I've gotten plenty of answers from others here so I'm hoping someone can help me out with this. I know there has been similar threads before like this one but I thought I could get an updated opinion.

I'm looking to buy a car and have my eye on one for cheap, a 2007 SV6. Only problem is the amount of k's on it. It has done 318xxx km's over it's 12 year lifespan and does have immaculate service history from 0-150,000 but then very minimal after that. I was just wondering what people's opinion was on how many is too many, and that is is not worth it buying a car with 300k + on it because it's lifespan is coming to an end. I have a few cars I've been looking at and am on a budget but is it better value for a car four years newer with 125,000 less kms on it?

Thanks guys I look forward to any responses!

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
What price? For me it's a no, unless it's $1000 too much risk once you pay insurance and rego to be worth it

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
Don't get me wrong, a well maintained one will do a heap more k's. But buying one with an unknown history, if it's been flogged or not, plus the timing chain issues on a 2007 model, just steer clear

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
At that mileage I'd think the timing chains had been done. Take the oil filler cap off and have a good look inside the valve cover as this will be a good indication of service history.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It's not an easy question. Yes the car with 200 ks on it should be better than the one with 318. But, from what I've seen only the good ones make it past 318 so it might go for another 5 years, or it might die in 6 months. You should consider what you would do if it needed a new engine and gearbox. If you can handle that possibility then there's nothing to worry about but the lower K car should require less work.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Don't get me wrong, a well maintained one will do a heap more k's. But buying one with an unknown history, if it's been flogged or not, plus the timing chain issues on a 2007 model, just steer clear
Plus other parts like suspension , steering , diff etc

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
KMs a bit high but how a car is looked after etc plays a big part, our 12/09 Berlina dual fuel is at 225k and drives great and with price of fuel keeping it ATM. I've serviced it since 60k every 7500km done trans at 65, 130 and 195 and still good. Engine cold has small rattle at start up but no oil usage etc. Seems the early 190kw engines are worst for timing chain issues.