Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

knocking and thump in engine bay of my vt!

MIG.29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Definetly the link pins, you can get heavy duty ones off ebay fairly cheap and heaps stronger than the originals. I got some my self and they started making the exact noise your describing after about 2 weeks of installing them, just needed a little extra tightning as the rubbers had warn in.

VXSSComm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Commodore S2
I had the same problem. The noise ended up being my front suspension. As the bushes where worn out completely and needed replacing.

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
Yep, 100% link pins. The jingling is the cup washers rattling around and the knock is the sway bar. Can fix for around $30 for new link pins/bushes off ebay.

stirringaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Now this may be totally unrelated to your problem but your description does seem similar to a problem I had.

If your problem is linked to any of the above & those suggestions fix the problem then all good.

However if it doesn't then try this.

I had a weird clunk coming from my VTII when I did a U-turn, or on some right & left hand turns.

It was quite a clunk & was concerning me.

I had everything checked out, replaced the link pins, checked all the bolts holding the "k" frame, checked all the ball joints, sway bars etc etc.

Still got this clunk.

Turned out there are two bolted on gussets, about 300mm long, going from the chassis to the cabin floor. There is one on each side of the car. They are near the back of the engine area.

They have 4 nuts on each one, the studs being welded onto the body work. They are obviously there to stop some an amount of chassis flex or something.

Anyway after the 8 nuts tightened up - hey presto no clunk anymore.

I wouldn't have thought such a small thing could have created such a concerning noise, but it did.

It had a lot of very experienced mechanics & wheel alignment guys scratching their heads for quite a number of weeks, while we ruled everything else out.

mitmit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
thanks stirringaxe :thumbsup: the clunking sound of mine's has gone now

retal052

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Ditto mitmit, Thanks stirringaxe. :beer chug: Owe you mate, saved me a few $$ on bushes

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Don't forget to have the mushrooms checked, do you know how many do the bushes and bearings in VT's. Mine was cracked hitting a pot hole and the noise whilst at first not much became louder in time. Links done. Radius bushes done. Inner outer bushes done. Tie rod ends done. Finally when i changed the springs and shocks they found the mushroom bushes worn but the bearings cracked. My worst side was the left the side the noise was on, and that was the one with the worst damage. Common fault. Funny thing, i actually have the video of the day it cracked. I made a joke about aussie roads, like that's aussie for massive hole in the road. The bump didnt sound huge but i felt it. And i didnt think then it was something that bad.

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
I did my bushes a couple months ago, nolathane were $35 for bushes by them selves and with the pins were $60 better to do the lot I say. Better safe than sorry when it comes to suspension.

MrD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Series II
I had the exact same problem with my VT II making the clunking sound. I had virtually eliminated everything to do with the suspension but still could not locate the cause. Reading your post last night gave me the answer. You were right on the money. I only needed to tighten the four nuts on the chassis brace half a turn each and bingo, clunk gone. I would have never have thought that would cause the clunk but it did. I've spent hours under the car looking for the fault. Took five minutes with a 13mm spanner to fix.Thanks to your post, I like my VT again!

Now this may be totally unrelated to your problem but your description does seem similar to a problem I had.

If your problem is linked to any of the above & those suggestions fix the problem then all good.

However if it doesn't then try this.

I had a weird clunk coming from my VTII when I did a U-turn, or on some right & left hand turns.

It was quite a clunk & was concerning me.

I had everything checked out, replaced the link pins, checked all the bolts holding the "k" frame, checked all the ball joints, sway bars etc etc.

Still got this clunk.

Turned out there are two bolted on gussets, about 300mm long, going from the chassis to the cabin floor. There is one on each side of the car. They are near the back of the engine area.

They have 4 nuts on each one, the studs being welded onto the body work. They are obviously there to stop some an amount of chassis flex or something.

Anyway after the 8 nuts tightened up - hey presto no clunk anymore.

I wouldn't have thought such a small thing could have created such a concerning noise, but it did.

It had a lot of very experienced mechanics & wheel alignment guys scratching their heads for quite a number of weeks, while we ruled everything else out.