Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

knocking and thump in engine bay of my vt!

M

mrVT

Hey guys today driving my car have noticed that i can hear a thump or a knocking noise coming from the engine bay iam trying to hear the exact place seems to be near the left hand side of car tyre(i think) it happens alot when either iam turning the steering wheel or when iam going over a bump on rd or a speed hump my guess would be either steering rack or a ball joint? what do u think this could possibly be as that thumping knock is quiet annoying!!!

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Maybe link pin bushes are worn.

Overdose

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0L Exec
I had a problem sorta like this and it was the engine mount, when I accelerated pretty hard it would lift up and smack down again.

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
does the noise keep going and get louder at 60, if so then take it to your mechanic, if it is just when you go over a bump your engine mounts are gone as
I had a problem sorta like this and it was the engine mount, when I accelerated pretty hard it would lift up and smack down again.
Engine mounts are $130 each from Holden, or $69.95 if your in Adelaide from motormate in either elizabeth or ST Marys. i would sell you a set but i need mine for when i get my new engine

M

mrVT

from a thumping clunk noise i can hear a jiggle near the front end from left hand wheel dunno if engine moutns or that rod thats connected near brake caliper i took it off and looked loose and rubbers were cracked what do u guys think???

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
Its the sway bar link to strut rubbers that are worn. grab a kit from holden or an auto shop for 30 - 40 bucks. buy the kit its cheaper than just the rubbers.

callum_88

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec 5 spd/ VZ SS 6 spd 6ltr
oh wow i never thought about the engine mount, thats prob what it is, mine makes a noise when speeding up and when i brake, so im guessing its something loose

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
Could be the engine mounts, although mine were totally collapsed and I had nothing like that.

To check, just have a look underneath your car at where the bottom of the sump is sitting. If it's just above the height of the rear crossmember, it's fine. If it's below it, then the engine mounts are sagging.

Could be the radius rod bush on the left collapsed, leaving enough movement to cause clunking of the radius rod against the crossmember, or sway bar.

darkrider

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Executive
I have this same problem and the mechanic told me its the steering rack however my engine mounts need replacing as well