Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Knocking noise

Massm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore S
Hi all. First time poster. Been using the forum for ages to help fix my car but can't seem to find my issue this time. I have a knocking noise coming from the engine when the air con is running. I read the forums saying it may be a leaf stuck in the blower but the noise is much more sinister than that. It comes and goes, gets worse when I accelerate. I have a couple videos I took to show the noise but don't know how to post them. I know I need to change the pulleys as there are bearing problems there, my question is do I need to replace ALL the pulleys? And what is that knocking noise and how do I fix it?

Rawrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais 3.8
If it is indeed only knocking when the AC is on it sounds like the compressor is starved for oil. You might have had a leak somewhere where refrigerant and oil has been leaking from. Throw some leak dye in to check this.

Sadly it sounds like your compressor is toast. It's easy as to replace, just a slightly expensive part. You could try clutch and pulley but it doesn't sound like that. I think oil because it eventually shuts up.

Good luck