Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Knocking over bumps

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Just wondering if people can pinpoint me to the right direction. Essentially my cars a 2012 ve and when going over bumps it makes a knocking sound, almost seems like the car doesn’t suppress the noise of going over bumps. Got the car at 100,000km to which strut tops were changed. Wondering if anyone knows what I need to change? Thanks

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Swaybar links been changed?

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
No they haven't only the strut tops.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Go get them checked, they are a pretty cheap item if it's the front swaybar links making the noise.

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
Jack it up and check for movement on all ball joints and bushes. Then grab a couple spanners to ensure everything is tight.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
On my VE V8 there was a knock in the front and it turned out to be sway bar bushes

I think these are more likely to make the sound if for example one wheel encounters an bump, than both at the same time.

Good news is the bushes are only about $30 for a pair and should also tighten up the steering response a little. Not a lot of fun to fit though, probably allow about 3 hours first time round unless you have a hoist.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You can get heavy duty sway bar links for around $150

Regular about $30

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
On my VE V8 there was a knock in the front and it turned out to be sway bar bushes

I think these are more likely to make the sound if for example one wheel encounters an bump, than both at the same time.

Good news is the bushes are only about $30 for a pair and should also tighten up the steering response a little. Not a lot of fun to fit though, probably allow about 3 hours first time round unless you have a hoist.

Once the car is jacked up and on jack stands, the top nut of the sway link is accessible from the wheel arch. Just turn the wheel out and from memory it's a 17mm socket and a 17mm open spanner to hold the back of it. Then bottom nut is easily accessible from under the car.

Best to fit top and bottom equally to start off then push it in together. Don't forget sway link orientation and maybe take a photo of it before hand too.

I've done it is less than 30 mins per side and if you have a rattle gun you should half that time.

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Upon checking underneath the car, sway bar bushes have been worn down and cracked.