Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Knocking / ticking coming from trans after starting / moving

gregp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2 Wagon V6
Hi guys,

My VY V6 has an odd knocking / ticking sound coming from around the transmission. It's as though something at the front of the trans spins up when the engine starts, and once the engine is revved and the car moves a bit and when the engine drops back in revs, this thing starts to spin down a few seconds after and does this knocking / ticking sound while it slows. It has continued when the car has come to a standstill too so it's unrelated to road speed.

Video:

It only seems to do it after the car is started (even from warm); after it's been running for a minute or so it doesn't do it anymore until the car is stopped and restarted again. For example the car was warm from daytime use, I started it about two hours later and backed out of the driveway and heard the noise. I stopped the car moving and the sound continued. Engine noise makes it hard to hear from under the bonnet but it's quite noticeable in the cabin. The A/C unit was turned off so it's not A/C fan noise.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Greg

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
have u been under the car, looked for anything broken, exhaust rubbers, trans mount might be stuffed, hopefully its an external issue

can u lay down next to car get someone else to start it see if u can pinpoint from there

gregp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2 Wagon V6
Thanks for your reply. The trans fluid was low, which is odd as I checked it not too long ago and we've had no leaks. Since topping it back up it seems to be fixed. I'm still puzzled as to what it was and where the fluid went, but provided it stays away I can live with not knowing.