Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Koni / Bilstein Shock Help

HollySSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SSV Sportwagon S1
Hi All,
I am wanting to replace my flogged out shocks on my S1 SSV sport wagon with 90,000km. I have been looking at the Koni KONI-2100-4074 kit and Bilsten Comkit11. I found a thread in here stating that the sport wagon require rear bump stop 16mm extensions for both of these kits. Can anyone tell me if that is correct. I can’t find any source for these extension bump stops online looking for hours. I don’t really require coilovers as the car is not tracked and driven by my wife daily.
cheers

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Koni = softer ride than FE2, Bilstein = firmer. Koni may be acceptable to some if the extender is used. My partner didn't find anything wrong with them with her conservative driving style. They certainly wern't for me though. Maybe the extender would improve things but the fact is they are chushy shocks. Still got my Koni struts in legs, shocks (no bump extender) and Superpro mounts if you want to make an offer. Around 10k km's on them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210612-101243_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210612-101243_Outlook.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Screenshot_20210612-101119_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210612-101119_Outlook.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

HollySSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’m sort of leaning more towards the Bilstein kit. I also have a quote to do a complete coilover kit from MCA. street sports for $2450 delivered, just not sure if I want to go that route. Big difference in price from $1750 for the Bilstein to MCA’s kit. I do under stand there is a lot more to the MCA kit though. Do you know if the Bilstein kit requires the bump stop extensions also.[/QUOTE]

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I've never heard of the Comkit requiring an additional bumpstop for a wagon. It looks like they come with there own, which you'd hope would be suitable for all platforms. Bear in mind, Bilsteins are high pressure and I've read that putting them on stock springs will raise the vehicle 5mm-10mm. Nothing a cheap set of springs won't bring back down though.
You mentioned MCA Street Sports. Do you mean Street Performance? If so, they're old stock. Street Performance and Street Essentials are now sold under Pro Comfort and I assume reworked to some degree. If you mean Pro Sports, think long and hard if you want to put your wife through them. It would take a very special lady to appreciate what they offer.

HollySSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sport yeah I meant the pro sport. That’s good new with the Bilstein though. I know they are a bit pricier then koni, but they also include the front strut in the fulcrum comkit11.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Unless she's a masochist, putting Pro Sports on a partners car, would be akin to domestic violence.

HollySSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Fair enough lol, I think I will go with the Bilstein kit and possibly some additional springs. I can obtain the kit for $1440.00 so think that is a reasonable price. Looking at around $500 for H&R springs to suit. Not sure if there are better springs to suit.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Koni = softer ride than FE2, Bilstein = firmer. Koni may be acceptable to some if the extender is used. My partner didn't find anything wrong with them with her conservative driving style. They certainly wern't for me though. Maybe the extender would improve things but the fact is they are chushy shocks. Still got my Koni struts in legs, shocks (no bump extender) and Superpro mounts if you want to make an offer. Around 10k km's on them.

That is a generalisation and completely wrong. There is 3 different Konis available and about 7 different levels of Bilstien.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Hi All,
I am wanting to replace my flogged out shocks on my S1 SSV sport wagon with 90,000km. I have been looking at the Koni KONI-2100-4074 kit and Bilsten Comkit11. I found a thread in here stating that the sport wagon require rear bump stop 16mm extensions for both of these kits. Can anyone tell me if that is correct. I can’t find any source for these extension bump stops online looking for hours. I don’t really require coilovers as the car is not tracked and driven by my wife daily.
cheers

They are just plastic discs and will need to be used to stop the valves bottoming out. It's not a major issue though as the valves can take a few whacks.

HollySSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
what do you think of the fulcrum ComKit11 Shane. It comes with the B8 shocks as part of the kit. Hopefully I won’t get to much of a raise when installing with factory springs. But may look at H&R or King springs etc if that happens.