Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

koni or bilstiens.

LS1SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline.1970 Dodge R/T Challenger 440 six pack.
I have a VF Redline with Walkinshaw springs (got for nicks) and std factory shocks,the ride is good but thinking of changing shocks to either Konis or Bilstiens,Qustion,has any one used either of these shocks on their Redline to improve the ride/handling,what would you recommend?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
What's your budget?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Blistering/Koni were both quality built shocks when I last played with such many years ago, so I’d expect they’d still be the same quality built products these days.

So isn’t this like asking if one prefers red or white wine?

Wouldn’t it be more relevant to state the spring rates you have and what is the best shock valuing to match them? Maybe consider what walkinshaw would have fitted with their springs o_O

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I had the Bilstein B8's in my old VZ. Awesome shock but probably a bit stiff for daily driving. Something like a B6 would be more suited for a street car from their range. I have Koni Adjustables in my VC and HQ and can't recommend them enough different applications but found them very well suited for their respective applications. That said having a VF I'd look at a set of decent coilovers also to compare. I'm putting Shockworks in my Maloo soon (when funds allow) after having been in a few cars with them with very happy owners. Shaun with the Magnuson blown VF on here just went from XYZ's to the Shockworks last week after I recommended them and he loves them, night and day over the XYZ's.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
LS1SS, it's admittedly been 15 years since I was there, but maybe it's worth giving East Coast Suspensions a call to see what they recommend?
They were at Sutherland, a quick Google says they're a bit further away at Taren Point - but it's not the end of the world from where you are.
They did a really good job with my old & relatively obscure (from a performance POV at least) Volvo, so with something a lot more commonly modified you could probably get good info from them.

At the time (15yrs ago) the Bilstein Sport were what I bought (I believe the same spec as what's now called the B8), and they were a better quality shock than any of the Konis I could choose from apart from the quite fancy externally-adjustable/externally-cooled ones. But I don't think it's valid to judged based on 15yrs ago, nor on what was available for a Volvo 240-series. :)

NewbC4KE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV M6 & Monaco M4 125cc 2 Stroke Go Kart
I have a VF Redline with Walkinshaw springs (got for nicks) and std factory shocks,the ride is good but thinking of changing shocks to either Konis or Bilstiens,Qustion,has any one used either of these shocks on their Redline to improve the ride/handling,what would you recommend?

Hi mate,

I have the following without tuneable dampening and rebound (optional extra) and cant recommend them enough.

Hope that helps.

LS1SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline.1970 Dodge R/T Challenger 440 six pack.
At the moment due to long term sick pay coil overs are out of the question,picked up a front set of Bilstiens complete at a very good price so going to thro those in and see what the ride is like,if it’s no good then might go the Koni route,looking for a comfy firm ride and change the stabiliser bars for sharp turn in and cornering,shall keep an update on progress.